My first vintage bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
it will probably have loose bearings so that if you remove the spindle, they will spill out and roll every where so that you do not have a full set to put back. Caged bearings are much easier to use but spread the work out thinner so that they have to do more work. It is better to use loose bearings and count them in on both sides and hold them there with a good spread of grease. You will have to examine the cones too, it is easy to check the wear on these once they have been cleaned. They are not too expensive on the ebay. Dismantling and reassembly is pretty intuitive, so just take your time.

Once you have done all this you will find the missing ball-bearing with the heel of your bare foot and it will hurt.

OP
OP
Keri Spring

Keri Spring

Regular
ooh I lost this forum when I lost all my bookmarks, but I've found you all again and now there's no getting away. I slowed down on the resto for a while as the snow/cold was just putting me off. The old girl now has lovely new cream tyres though and is mostly cleaned up. I'm just waiting for a chain tool to come in the post so I can get that off. I've had a look, and my hubby has had a look (knows nothing about bicycles but plenty about motorbikes so is of some use) and I'm going to keep the original so need to get it off and give it a good clean. I know someone here mentioned boiling in oil. Another thread on another forum mentioned the dishwasher which I'm not averse to either, but its not really gunky, more old and obviously dry, light rusty colouring now, etc. What do you think is best?

As chances are I'm going to be a fair weather rider. (That and the brakes won't work all that well in the rain!) I'm considering not putting the mudguards back on. Its partly aesthetics as I've seen the 'cool' vintage ones around London with that look, and she does look gorgeous with her cream wheels, but its also that the mudguards have the worst of the rust damage. They're really not in great shape. I don't really want to replace with something that won't look right, and I can only go with spending so much on my £20 bike :-) Is there any other reason for keeping them I'm not thinking of?

Also trying to find the best way to budget fit a porteur rack of some kind. They look great but they're so expensive! Will no doubt waffle about that further soon :-)

Keri

x

Top Bottom