My first vintage bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Instead of wire wool, use crumpled up aluminium foil and something slightly acidic such as cola or vinegar, you'll be amazed at the results and it won't scratch:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Keri Spring

Keri Spring

Regular
that's the conservatory floor where Audrey is spending her winter. However, cleaning does also take place on the dining table. Its obviously the kind of wife I am! :laugh:

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
That's so unfair.......I get banished to the garage, doesn't matter how cold it is or how much snow there is :sad:

On the upside......i often sneak a bottle of rioja in there with me, which makes an enjoyable task even more enjoyable ^_^

Think i should have married a cyclist............note to self.....have plumber extend central heating into garage before next winter!

PS.....Keep up the good work, i can see Audrey is going to get a lot of TLC over the next few months.

OP
OP
Keri Spring

Keri Spring

Regular
So long as I can get Audrey up and running for the winter months I'll be happy

Winter months!?! Obviously I meant summer months! Actually my aim is now the end of March as that's when the clocks change and we get some lighter evenings to put her to good use

Now to put my brain in gear and try to understand the replies on the brake cables thread. I forgot my please use small words warning on there. Think I might have to ask my husband about soldering nipples as it doesn't sound like a good thing to me! :blush:

OP
OP
Keri Spring

Keri Spring

Regular

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yep them is the ones I used to use...
Do those pads work?
I have to confess that I bought some for my vintage find, but chickened out from fitting them, changed the front wheel to alloy instead.
Had a scary experience with steel wheels along the river path once, almost fell in the river, bike got wet in a downpour, would not stop anymore. :eek:
I quite like the look of the old style rims, but :ph34r:

Pat "5mph"

In the world of steel rims braking is subjective but these were miles better than the plain rubber jobbies. You can't beat the glint of chrome in the sunlight.
Well said, think I should chance it? Feel sorry to discard lovely wheels, but it is extremely wet here ... and I did buy the leather backed pads, 2 sets of them. :rolleyes:
Then I came across Sheldon's article on steel rims where he said nobody in this day and age should use them because they are dangerous, so I chickened out.
Baring in mind my max speed is 5mph maybe I worry unduly :laugh:

Pat "5mph"

This is my theory, although I hadn't read that part of the article so now I'm worried too :scratch:
They don't glint yet, but I'm working on it :-)
Somebody mentioned tin foil and w40 for cleaning up rust: tried it today, it does work, not much effort required either.

Top Bottom