My Firsts:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cannondale Lady

Hopefully this will be a fun and lighthearted look at my introduction to cycling. I'm guessing not many will be interested in reading this but for me this will be a log of my progress and might help others just starting out. Here goes......

Bought my first bike since I was a child, a week last Thursday. A Cannondale ladies Tango 6. Front suspension forks and 24 gears. My last one had three (sturmy archer)! Donned my first pair of cycling shorts and did my first ride, the same day.

Distance - 10 miles
Ease - OMG
Bum- Felt like I had been kicked several times by a horse
Husband - experienced cyclist who had to keep waiting for me and insisted my seat was too low
Calories burned - husband, about 200 me about 600 (all to do with his fitness). I'm aghast
Feelings after ride - elation, sense of achievement, pride, sore a*se

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Keep it up, you will get used to it !

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Well done, your hubby was probably right about the saddle. Your legs want to be "almost" straight (knee slightly bent) on the down stroke of the pedal when you are sat on the saddle, that way you are getting full "power" into every turn of the pedals and it has the added bonus of lessening the load on your thigh muscles so therefore less aching. The sore bum comes as standard for every new cyclist, until your backside gets broken into the saddle.

Wafer

Veteran
It'll be great to look back at this in a few months and a years time to see the difference :smile:
I've been really pleased looking at my progress on Strava. I'm not racing segments but I'm seeing improvements in times which I wouldn't really notice otherwise, aside from feeling better for longer while cycling.

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

My second ride was the Saturday. I tried to sit on the saddle on the Friday but for the first time ever, I would rather have sat on hot coals!

This second ride was with my friend who is also a beginner. We did 9 miles and I struggled. Not sure if this was because I was still recovering from Thursday, because I didn't have my husbands experience with me or because I needed to compete. Began to think cycling was not for me as everything hurt so much.

Distance 9 miles
Ease - still OMG
Bum - sore but more bearable
Friend - faster than me
Calories burned - under but guessing about 500

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

I'm 52 and overweight. Not ashamed to say 17 stone, because I'm proud to be embarking on this journey and will be losing weight as my journey progresses. As you can imagine, getting on a bike at my age and weight and level of fitness has been hard and embarrassing.

Anyway....ride 3. Husband took me somewhere with more inclines. I called them hills, he laughed. I did them and really began to enjoy the ride. Bum much more acclimatised and the bumps on the track effected my nethers less this time. I managed several inclines that I never thought possible.

Distance - 10 miles
Ease - challenging but manageable for me, stroll in the park for hubby
Calories burned - 612
Top speed - 40 mph, bloody Aldi computer, Hubby says it malfunctioned, I said nah I'm FAST Baby!
Feelings - yes I can do this.
Total miles to date 29...yay

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Ride 4 - my first commute.

A ride then work? Holy macceroni. I was accompanied by a colleague who is all struggling with weight and used to love to cycle. He was so patient and waited for me all the time. It was only (am I really saying only!) 8 miles but lots of 'banks'.

I could see our office block getting bigger and biggerxas I got closer and I can honestly say I have never been glad to arrive at the office as I did that day.....Wednesday this week, 6 days after the bike arrived.

Home time went something like this via text:

Chris: Dave, my legs feel like jelly.
Dave: Can u manage to get home?
Chris: No....well maybe but if I push too hard I might be put off. Gonna leave bike and bus home. Cycle back tomorrow.
Dave: I will drive car through. U can drive home and I will ride ya bike back
Chris: eeeeeeee. R u sure?
Dave: Yes, of course
Chris: Thank you
Dave: No bother
Chris: (thought only - notext) he's been itching to get his leg over my frame!

One hour after I got home, he ambled in after putting her through her paces...

Dave: It will do!

That's 37 hours so far..........

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Ride 5 was only 7 mile as friend was having her issues and we had to turn back. Due to lack of experience and confidence.

However, what was fantastic was:

For the first time I really enjoyed it
For the first time I had fun
For the first time I felt me and the bike gelled
For the first time my bum didn't hurt
To the first time I yelled in joy when going downhill

Total miles 43....I can't believe it

Last edited:
Top Bottom