My fitness is improving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

Just had a peek on the map, and yeah, I guess all the hills are on the other side from you, out Cumbria way. Still, you probably get plenty of a fitness work out battling against the coastal winds.

You're gonna love the clipless pedals - I would not consider going back, and now am looking at putting clipless on my retro mountain bike as well. As well as the as yet unannounced new mountain bike that's very hush hush in the pipeline.

Don't know about N+1, I seem to be operating on N+2 now :biggrin:

Yeah it always seems like there's a nice coastal wind to contend with, guess it just makes you work harder so it's all good.
You were right, I'm loving my new clipless set up. Feels really good and haven't had any moments yet, touch wood. Think I just need to tweak my cleat placement a little and find the ideal position.

OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

Remember your body also needs to have rest days to recover, so don't over do it :thumbsup:

Yeah I've been trying to get out 2 or 3 times during the week and then a bigger ride on the weekend. Can be hard with work and family commitments. Deffinately getting fitter and faster and I'm loving it.

VamP

Banned
Yeah it always seems like there's a nice coastal wind to contend with, guess it just makes you work harder so it's all good.
You were right, I'm loving my new clipless set up. Feels really good and haven't had any moments yet, touch wood. Think I just need to tweak my cleat placement a little and find the ideal position.

Which pedals did you go for in the end?

OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

Went for shimano ones. Was looking at look pedals but since everything on my bike is shimano I opted for them. And they were a good price and are the same colour as my cranks so they go well I think. Wanted shimano shoes but the fit wasn't very good so got specialized ones.

VamP

Banned
Went for shimano ones. Was looking at look pedals but since everything on my bike is shimano I opted for them. And they were a good price and are the same colour as my cranks so they go well I think. Wanted shimano shoes but the fit wasn't very good so got specialized ones.

SPD-SL?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Great news. Be prepared to plateau at some point. We all (most of us) reach a point were our improvement curve levels out. It can be a little disheartening but that is the time when you measure improvement in much smaller and more subtle ways. Watching seconds fall instead on minutes, focusing on technique rather than distance.

Anyhow, best of luck and keep on enjoying the cycling.
So I've had my bike for 4 weeks now and already I'm starting to see improvements. The first couple of rides were hard on my butt but I think that's hardening up now. During the week I've been using the same 15 mile course along the coast where I live about 2 or 3 times a week and over these last couple of weeks I've seen my times come down steadily and my average speed rise through 14,15,16,17 and last night 18mph. I'm pretty happy with my results so far and I'm really enjoying pushing myself as hard as I can. Weekends I've been doing 30-40 milers and plan to keep pushing this a bit further.
Most of all I'm just loving being able to get out and enjoy riding and getting some much needed fitness. My girlfriend says she has become a widow to the bike but she understands I need a little something in my life as a way of release after kind of giving up the bmx riding.

OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

Great news. Be prepared to plateau at some point. We all (most of us) reach a point were our improvement curve levels out. It can be a little disheartening but that is the time when you measure improvement in much smaller and more subtle ways. Watching seconds fall instead on minutes, focusing on technique rather than distance.

Anyhow, best of luck and keep on enjoying the cycling.

Thanks alot mate. Yeah I realise I'll reach that plateau at some point. Just really pleased and surprised with the improvements I've made in a short space of time. Think theres still plenty of room for improvement in the building up my stamina department. Also I don't really know much about technique as I'm new to road riding.
I'm actually just loving the riding, thinking of joining a local club aswell.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
A club is a great idea. I have learned so much from riding with others :smile:
Thanks alot mate. Yeah I realise I'll reach that plateau at some point. Just really pleased and surprised with the improvements I've made in a short space of time. Think theres still plenty of room for improvement in the building up my stamina department. Also I don't really know much about technique as I'm new to road riding.
I'm actually just loving the riding, thinking of joining a local club aswell.

Top Bottom