My 'flat' cycling route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

Difficult to appreciate the hills from the video, but it's obvious you're feeling the strain. Things will get a lot easier with improved fitness, which those hills will certainly help with ;)

But for the best exercise to reduce a few extra pounds, you don't want to be pushing things really hard. A steady pace that exerts but doesn't leave you feeling shattered is far better at fat burning. Intersperse this with some short bursts to get the blood pumping and this will help improve fitness so that you can do more.

If only I could combine this advice with a reduction in all the "good" foods things would be so much better for my spare :troll:

shippers

It might say "SLOW" in bit white letters on the road, but you don't want to be taking any notice of that, especially as the video sounds like you've got some sort of heavy breathing pervert after you...

Seriously, decent road bike (I've a secteur sport) and a bit of practice and you'll fly up there! Actually, it does start to look steep on about 2.10.

Stick at it. Time yourself up it in a month or so.

OP
OP
Martok

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Thanks for the encouragement. :wahhey:

The advice on the best exercise to reduce the extra pounds is useful, I'll give it a try. I'm a bit disappointed that I shed it all a couple of years ago and have put it all back on again, though some of that was due to stuff going on in my life at the time. Hopefully this time I will lose it and keep it off as well as develop my enjoyment of cycling. :biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
Martok said:
Thanks for the encouragement. :wahhey:

The advice on the best exercise to reduce the extra pounds is useful, I'll give it a try. I'm a bit disappointed that I shed it all a couple of years ago and have put it all back on again, though some of that was due to stuff going on in my life at the time. Hopefully this time I will lose it and keep it off as well as develop my enjoyment of cycling. :biggrin:
Hey Martok,why don't you make a post in the weight watchers thread in health and fitness,that way you can keep a track of your progress and it gives a bit of incentive to keep at it,put your weight and ideal weight and keep us updated on your weight loss.

NigC

potsy said:
Hey Martok,why don't you make a post in the weight watchers thread in health and fitness,that way you can keep a track of your progress and it gives a bit of incentive to keep at it,put your weight and ideal weight and keep us updated on your weight loss.

OMG, there's a weight watdhers thread :biggrin: Don't tell the wife :wahhey:

NigC

Martok said:
Thanks for the encouragement. :wacko:

The advice on the best exercise to reduce the extra pounds is useful, I'll give it a try. I'm a bit disappointed that I shed it all a couple of years ago and have put it all back on again, though some of that was due to stuff going on in my life at the time. Hopefully this time I will lose it and keep it off as well as develop my enjoyment of cycling. :smile:

I've done a little more digging as my memory can be sketchy and what I should have said was: it's more efficient to take things a little easier - you will burn more by working harder, but it's not directly proportional, so the harder you work, the less efficient it becomes at fat burning and of course the more difficult it is to keep going.

As an example, take a 5-mile cycle: You go at top speed and finish in a steaming pile of sweat :smile: But take it easier and you'll take longer, but you'd actually be burning more fat for the same distance as well as feeling a whole lot better for it. I think that makes sense :smile:

Good luck with it :smile:

karan733

Hey Martok, keep going with it! Im glad someone else has posted a "pervert behind you?" vid, I thought I was the only one on here that sounded like that! I was thinking of testing a "proper" road bike at one of evans rideIT days too - which one are you going to?

karan733

Martok said:
Hehe yes, my breathing does get heavy at times. I'm glad to hear you do that too and I'm not the only one!

I'm going to the Ride It! Hatfield Sportive road ride on Sunday 18th July. I had confirmation yesterday that the demo bike I'll be testing, the Specialized Sectuer Elite, has been booked. :biggrin:

Cool I was thinking of going to the one in the peak district on 3/4 July. Still trying to settle on which one Id like to try :biggrin: What distance were you going for?

OP
OP
Martok

Martok

Klingon on a bike
As I've only been cycling again since September (not done so for years and I wasn't a big rider as a kid), I'm going for the the Short - 30 miles ride. I've never done a sportive before so I've no idea what they are like, pace of other riders etc. I've done a few 40 mile rides before but these have been done as a 20 mile ride, stop for lunch and then 20 miles back. The aim for this one is to do the 30 miles in one hit. I'm sure I can do this but don't feel at this stage that I could do the Medium - 60 miles ride. Maybe next year...

OP
OP
Martok

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Heh that looks a little on the steep side. :biggrin:

I'm sure I'll get better with hills with practise, especially once I've shed some of this extra lard I'm carrying around 3 stones, probably more than your panniers weigh. ;)

Top Bottom