My friend's killer gets sentenced...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
...to 150 hours community service.

A friend was killed on her bike by a reckless driver near Bath last year, leaving her 1 year old son without a Mum.

Here's a link to the news story - http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/news/Co...sh-driver/article-2105498-detail/article.html

The driver ploughed straight into the back of her bike on a wide straight road in which she would have had a clear view of the bike for over 20 seconds - she didn't stand a chance - no one would. Despite being in clear view for this amount of time the judge described it as a "momentary lapse of concentration" on the part of the driver.....

The driver then lied about the bike swerving into her path (CCTV showed the whole thing and neither car or bike deviated), and answered all police questions "no comment".

Tragic.:sad:

Justice? Not sure about that, but I hope her family can now try to move on with their lives.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A very sad story and outcome. :sad:

:sad: Very, very tragic.

Whilst I have a little (I stress little) sympathy with the driver, i.e. being new and 'being distracted', the fact that she lied about the cyclist swerving makes me think a jail sentence would have been appropriate.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
What is the matter with these f*ckwit judges. Another tragic life lost and all the driver gets is a community service despite trying to lie to cover her arse at the time for her careless driving

It makes my blood boil :sad::angry::biggrin::angry:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Again no justice,just a slapped wrist ! Cycling needs to be part of the driving test to make people more aware about whats on the other side of the windscreen.
Sad news.

D-Rider

“It goes without saying but nothing that I say and no sentence that I can pass can alter the tragic facts.”

No, but perhaps a stronger signal could be sent to the motoring public that causing death by careless driving is actually a serious offence.

Beaker39

4F said:
What is the matter with these f*ckwit judges. Another tragic life lost and all the driver gets is a community service despite trying to lie to cover her arse at the time for her careless driving

It makes my blood boil :sad::angry::biggrin::angry:

Here, here.

yello

User3143 said:
That's really really sad.

It is isn't it.

Of course, there is no sentence that would bring Sarah Hayward back. And no doubt the driver is distraught, one might even wonder if there'd be any purpose sending the driver to prison, BUT that sentence doesn't seem in any way to fit the crime. The driver KNEW the cyclist was there, she should not have allowed herself to become distracted. She was in charge of a lethal weapon. WHEN will the motoring obsessed public take that responsibility on board?

Crankarm

Guru
WTF 150 hrs community service!!!!! Another incompetent judge. Kylee Powell and her husband should also have been charged with trying to pervert the course of justice as the CCTV apparently clearly showed them to be lying through their teeth. Another awful decision by a judge that brings the judicial system into disrepute.

RIP Sarah Hayward.

As I said earlier, it was the fact that she lied that makes me most concerned about the sentence. If you lie to cover up your own incompetence then it should be a automatic jail sentence IMO.

yello said:
WHEN will the motoring obsessed public take that responsibility on board?

The answer is never because those involved have that "oh, it could so easily be me in the dock, but for the grace of God" in the back of their minds

nigelb

Until the punishments get serious, the problem drivers won't take it seriously.

What's the point in bothering with a legal system if it decides that 150 hours community service is an appropriate punishment for murder?

Nige

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That is tragic, and a travesty of justice.

Manslaughter for sure, compounded by lying about it. Definitely think a jail sentence is deserved here.

Very sorry to read about this, and I'm sure it must cause a lot of upset to you and to the family of the deceased. But there's nothing one can do. I'm not sure what degree of custodial sentence could have been seen to deliver the 'right' message. Possibly there isn't a right amount.

Brings it all home to me, how nearly I might have become a similar statistic after my little 'incident' last Friday. But in my case the driver did see me, because she moved out to overtake me.... ...oblivious to the fact that there was a car coming the other way. Result: two wrecked cars but no deaths or injuries. It could have been so different.

Top Bottom