My friend's killer gets sentenced...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Davywalnuts said:
This is such another terrible loss of an innocent life.

I really have such little faith in the judicial system and until a presidence is made, nothing will change. Either me or anyone else cycling can just be snuffed out just like that and our lives will go in vain with no justice served, just so depressing.

It's tragic. Utterly tragic, and I really feel for the poor cyclist's family. I can't begin to understand what they must feel/ be going through.

Derisory sentences for reckless drivers is all too common. I'm no lawyer so I can't decide whether the law needs changing, or whether we need less brain addled judges. Or both. The biggest problem is that this wretched country is just so totally obsessed with the car. Because everyone's so addicted to driving, crimes like this are not dealt with properly because those who apply the law, and the jurors, are of course petrol heads themselves. It'll never change until attitudes change and I can't see that happenning until the bloody petrol they're all hooked on runs out.

joebingo said:
So that's the second time in 2 days that a killer has been given a pithy community order (https://www.cyclechat.net/). I don't care if she's distraught for the rest of her f****ng life, these things happen if you don't pay attention while driving a car which you only finished learning to drive a few weeks earlier. Pay the price.

Strange that you say she finished learning to drive a few weeks earlier - you never finish learning to drive. That kind of attitude leads to people losing their lives.

RIP. Another tragic tale.

Don't think the punishment fits the crime here. I won't start.....

Plus, only giving the driver a two year ban is very lenient [but no doubt the norm] - surely life bans would serve as a suitable deterrent.

Can't see things changing much; since lawmakers, judges and juries will always think 'well it could have been me driving' , as I believe someone else may have stated.

brokenbetty

Über Member
yello said:
WHEN will the motoring obsessed public take that responsibility on board?

When the punishment for causing injury with a car you are driving is to have that injury inflicted back on you.

joebingo

Über Member
xpc316e said:
Strange that you say she finished learning to drive a few weeks earlier - you never finish learning to drive. That kind of attitude leads to people losing their lives.
Good point!

In the topic that I linked, someone pointed out that in some EU countries, there's a probation period between passing your test and having a full license, something like that would probably instill the correct mindset in new drivers here.

What is it with this country and getting through the test as quickly as possible? It's almost like people don't realise that the car is dangerous. Oh wait, that's exactly what it is!

Jaguar

How bloody awful.
"the judge described it as a 'momentary lapse of concentration' on the part of the driver..."

That's exactly what the police/CPS decided about the driver who hit me head-on last year.

Shocking

bauldbairn

ianrauk said:
A very sad story and outcome. :wacko:

+1, I agree!

Crankarm

Guru
When I was knocked down 11 years ago on a roundabout by a speeding ba$tard called Frank Leigh, one of the coppers that attended told me that he (the copper) was a cyclist, he wasn't fat I hasten to add but looked pretty lean so I believed him so not just bullsh1t, anyway, he was going to make sure Mr Leigh was prosecuted. He was, but only with careless driving, but at least the ba$tard was prosecuted and convicted and then I sued him or his insurers. The magistrates were a bit weak, they gave him 3 points and a £120 fine, however they must have believed my account and evidence as it took them a matter of seconds to find Leigh guilty. Leigh and his counsel tried to make out I was swerving and wobbling all over the road which I wasn't and fortunately two witnesses backed up that I wasn't. The lying scumbag.

Sad state of affairs and outcome. Unfortunately seems to follow 'the car did it, it wasn't me' type of judgement that is all to common recently.

Lee, can you state which offence you would use to describe what happened? Getting kind of frustrated by your hinted at answers.

Trumpettom001

Community service!!!! I volunteer with a local charity, and we get loads of people who are on community service.. for "minor offences like drinking and driving". Pah - I've done at least 600 hours of community service... and not because I killed someone.. I do it out of choice. alot of the people that come and do community service with us actually enjoy it enough to continue volunteering out of choice.

PBancroft

bridgy said:
...to 150 hours community service.

So very sorry for you and her family Bridgy. I hope that her husband regains his emotional strength and that her baby is brought up in her memory.

This is absolutely appalling. The driver killed someone, then lies about it (claiming that the cyclist swerved), but is now "devastated."

So that makes it OK then.

I don't swear very often, but that is just ****ing wrong.

Top Bottom