My Gatorskins failed me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
First puncture in my continental gatorskins today . I heard something ping across the road from the rear wheel and soon after I had a flat :angry: No problems I thought as I have a spare tube in my saddle bag . But no tool to remove the pannier rack I had been using at the weekend :whistle:
Im now looking at the bike and wondering why I thought I needed to remove the pannier rack :rolleyes:
Anyhow the item I hit had made a small tear in the sidewall and made finding the puncture easy enough and the self adhesive patches coupled with a co2 canister had me back on the road fast enough . I just hope I haven't damaged the tyre to much .

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I find gatorskins rubbish, punctured them in less than 1 mile of use.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2 visitations in several 1000kms on my hardshells thus far. Last visitation caused by my failing to steer my back wheel around a fist sized cube of flint resulting in a snakebite at 100psi whilst descending at over 35mph. Should yack and drop at the same time I guess.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I find gatorskins rubbish, punctured them in less than 1 mile of use.
I had been thinking of upgrading to gatorskins from ultra sports. I need 27" tyres. I have had the ultras for 2 years now and not been down the deflationary fairy path so far (I'm sure I will meet that fairy fairly frequently from now though :surrender:). Any one got any other suggestions for light, easy rolling, deflationary proof tyres for 27" wheels. I have some Marathons which I might put back on this winter if weather gets bad but they are a little heavy.

I had been thinking of upgrading to gatorskins from ultra sports. I need 27" tyres. I have had the ultras for 2 years now and not been down the deflationary fairy path so far (I'm sure I will meet that fairy fairly frequently from now though :surrender:). Any one got any other suggestions for light, easy rolling, deflationary proof tyres for 27" wheels. I have some Marathons which I might put back on this winter if weather gets bad but they are a little heavy.
Mitch Krylion Carbond or their successor Mitch Pro 4 Endurance.

Mile195

Veteran
I've used Bontrager puncture resistant tyres, Armadillos and Gatorskins. Of all three I thought Gatorskins were truly dreadful. I stick with the Bontragers now as they're much lighter than Armadillos.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Bad luck with your puncture. Glad you got back on the road again.
Reading through reviews of tires, it seems to me that the side walls seem to be the weakest point on many of the modern tires.
Whether you get a puncture involving the side wall seems to come down to a matter of luck. Even the pro race riders are not immune to the occasional flat.
On the other hand, many riders go for miles on various tires without any major problems at all.
I don't think there is a lot of difference between the most popular tires. You take your chance and hope for the best.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Im going back that way tonight and I saw the item ping over to the side of the road I will be taking . Im going to look for it just to find out what it was and obviously shout at it . I'll stop the traffic if I have too :angry:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Not a fan of gators myself, totally over rated imho and not offering any advantage over other tyres

Biker Joe

Über Member
A stone pinged out from under my front tire not long back. It whacked a fence on the side of the road with terrific force. I was waiting for the inevitable hiss from the tire but I got away without getting punctured.^_^
I thought if there had been a car there or even a pedestrian it would have caused a fair bit of damage.
I was shocked at the force of impact.:eek:

Berties

Fast and careful!
all tyres have a tale of disaster, i ride on gaiter skins... yes i have had a puncture first day on a new tyre and get visits from the puncture fairy ,and yes i have split them on flints and blown out at speed,but its all in the rich journey of being a cyclist and all tyres ive ridden on get the same problems

Reactions: gbb

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
So far, Continental is the only tyre manufacture I don't like. Tried the cheapo "come with Halfords bikes" up to the high end stuff and don't like the feel seem a bit wooden to me. Never had a puncture, but not done that many miles on them either. Also seem to be the only tyre I have ever spun while putting the power down (in the wet, but the same with the others that haven't spun).

Krylions or Pro4 Endurance for commuting, Specialized turbo 24 for the Nice bike and Vittoria Pave CG for when it all goes a bit wet and slimey.

ayceejay

Guru
It is the sidewall of Gatorskin's that is the week point, it seems to me that the hard tread squeezes the sidewall (therefore the tube) if you hit a lump or pot hole. Obviously both of these are best avoided but I hit a 'sleeping policeman' at speed and the tube inside my tubular Gatorskin popped, no damage to the casing.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
just had another rear puncture...also using gators....my fault dropped off a kerb that i shouldnt have

Top Bottom