My Genesis cdf gets a set p45's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not sure if any or many are aware but I treated myself to a 2014 Genesis cdf a few weeks ago and loved every mile I did on it apart from one thing ; the amount of spray it chucked up at any given time when in use .

WP_20161119_001.jpg

I tried using some clip on race guards but she who must be obeyed, @vickster, said it looked horrendous and in all fairness I did agree and the amount of coverage was less than satisfactory to me , so I started scouring the internet for suggestions as to which guards to use that would or could be made to fit around the disc calipers front and rear .

WP_20161227_001.jpg

I could find a few posts on cc and other places saying people had SKS longboards fitted which always seem rather on the long side for my liking , so the next suggestion was either SKS P45 or P50 items . A pair of these were promptly put in my e-bay watch list and when the time came a bid was placed and the item was won and duly received .

WP_20161227_007.jpg

WP_20161227_011.jpg

A quick dry run showed that the rear would and did fit with no issues at all and with a choice of either using the spring clip fitment on the lower rear stays bridge rather than using the bolt option also provided . The front guards themselves fitted with no issues at all as did the drive side front stays , however the non-drive side stays just would not as the brake caliper was in the way . So I consulted my spares bin and found a pair of dual rod stays that looked like they would do the job and sure enough the lower one fitted without any issues at all , leaving me the top one to sort out and I soon realized that a quick bend here and there would sort it out as long as I used the top front brake caliper mounting bolt to secure the stay on to .

A couple of short sub 10 mile rides have been completed without any issues at all , I just need to do the fine adjustment and trimming of the stays as required .

WP_20170104_003.jpg

This now means I can crack on with getting miles in on this machine and put either my G.E.R Lomas or Puch Mirage up for sale as even I don’t need 3 road bikes that are guard equipped , along with my 2 commuting machines that are guard equipped as well .

WP_20170104_001.jpg

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Photos?

vickster

Legendary Member
The gap over the tyres is still quite sizeable, but then I don't ride in mud :smile: (or rain if possible :whistle:)

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
When I saw P45 I thought you'd given it it's marching orders!

Nice bit of fettling Martin.

Thanks @Cycleops i think this could be a keeper till i can find a bargain 56cm sized one

I ride in rain and love it.Esp when coming home.

Disk brakes I could only dream of.Perhaps one day.

Must admit i fancy seeing the difference between cable and hydraulic discs one day

Brandane

Legendary Member
Having recently acquired a second hand 2015 version, a Croix de Fer 20 with the "TRP" brakes, from this very site, I had a similar problem.
I decided to fit an old pair of mudguards which I had lying about, and might get round to investing in new ones at a later date as these ones are slightly narrow for the 32mm tyres fitted.
The rear was straightforward enough, apart from the fact that the bit on the frame for attaching the top support clip to (I'm sure it has a name that I can't recall!) doesn't have a hole drilled in it so you can't use a nut and bolt. So a bodge it has to be, using 3 zip ties. One to take the weight, and one each side to keep it centred:

DSC01667.JPG

The front was slightly more complicated as the brake caliper is in the way. Another bodge, using 2 spacers from an old rim brake, and putting a slight bend in the mudguard stays:

DSC01665.JPG

The complete bike. I love it!.......

WP_20170102_12_13_12_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom