My God, the price of everything going up!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Would that be l'Enclume at Cartmel?
3* Michelin
Simon Rogan

One of the very best restaurants in the UK.

We went earlier this year - March I think - and I disliked it immensely. I had a stomach ache for several days afterwards because, I think, of the richness of the food. I enjoyed the village, which I'd never been to before and enjoyed a pub around the corner from l'enclume, the bag of crisps and the pint of Cumbrian bitter more than anything in the restaurant. Still, wife wanted to go so had to oblige her. The whole time we were there I was thinking how much more I wanted to be in the climbers' bar in the Old Dungeon Ghyll just a few miles away from Cartmel.

Alex321

Veteran
I do understand the basic business model of many modern day 'pubs' but as an end-user I much prefer a proper pub with simple food. They are still about which is fortunate although they are distributed sparsely.

We don't use pubs for eating very often and generally abhor those that are filled with people quietly munching away of an evening.

The problem is is that the over-priced evening fare has expanded into a quick lunchtime light bite.

My point was really; how on Earth is a simple sandwich really worth £7.95, a small bowl of chips £4.00, a glass (large) of wine £9.50 and a tiny ice cream £4.00 from a vfm perspective?

I guess vfm is in the eye of the beholder but within the context of this thread it was remarkable, to our eyes at least, how rapidly prices are rising.

Also, it's not like we can't afford it, we just feel that we are being taken to the cleaners so to speak.

Obviously we can always vote with our feet.

As an aside I've posted a similar comment re non-vfm prices in the Airbnb thread.

We are a long way from hard-up but nonetheless, along with ourselves we are noticing that more and more people that we know who are worth a few bob are turning away from goods and services that do not represent good vfm or are patently a blatant rip-off; or at least our friendship circle talks about such things more often.

Anyway, it's all very subjective this vfm thing but prices in some sectors do seem to be rising faster than the headline 9%-ish rate - whether this is deserved or simple profiteering is hard to say.

It is subjective, but you can still get what *I* consider reasonable vfm in some nice pubs.

My daughter and I met up for an evening meal in Usk last week. We had a good meal, two courses each, nothing very fancy (though tempura cauliflower could be considered fancy by some). The pub had on side of the menu being "classic pub" grub, the other side being slightly posher. Total for two courses each and two drinks each (3 of the four drinks were each a pint of orange juice & lemonade, the fourth a pint of beer), and the total cost came to £55.

I'd have been quite happy with £25 each for a good meal 20 years ago (and in the 80's when I worked for BT, if we were away on a business trip, £25 was our evening meal allowance), so that isn't all that much of an increase.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd have been quite happy with £25 each for a good meal 20 years ago (and in the 80's when I worked for BT, if we were away on a business trip, £25 was our evening meal allowance), so that isn't all that much of an increase.
20 years ago you were paying £25 each from your own pocket & chances are now that allowance is £45, I can't remember what it was in the 80's when I went on courses with them

Top Bottom