My God, the price of everything going up!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Yup, I guess 25 years this November means we are still 'offcomers'. We also stand out as we are not God Botherers (lots here) and are therefore not worthy of being let into the secret handshake code.

25 years, you're halfway there, they might actually saying hello & waving soon

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Would that be l'Enclume at Cartmel?
3* Michelin
Simon Rogan

One of the very best restaurants in the UK.

Yes.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I disagree.

The improvement in quality if Pub Food is to be celebrated.

Very glad to see the back of "Basket Food"

The beer led pub, with basic catering in not a viable business model in most cases.

I do understand the basic business model of many modern day 'pubs' but as an end-user I much prefer a proper pub with simple food. They are still about which is fortunate although they are distributed sparsely.

We don't use pubs for eating very often and generally abhor those that are filled with people quietly munching away of an evening.

The problem is is that the over-priced evening fare has expanded into a quick lunchtime light bite.

My point was really; how on Earth is a simple sandwich really worth £7.95, a small bowl of chips £4.00, a glass (large) of wine £9.50 and a tiny ice cream £4.00 from a vfm perspective?

I guess vfm is in the eye of the beholder but within the context of this thread it was remarkable, to our eyes at least, how rapidly prices are rising.

Also, it's not like we can't afford it, we just feel that we are being taken to the cleaners so to speak.

Obviously we can always vote with our feet.

As an aside I've posted a similar comment re non-vfm prices in the Airbnb thread.

We are a long way from hard-up but nonetheless, along with ourselves we are noticing that more and more people that we know who are worth a few bob are turning away from goods and services that do not represent good vfm or are patently a blatant rip-off; or at least our friendship circle talks about such things more often.

Anyway, it's all very subjective this vfm thing but prices in some sectors do seem to be rising faster than the headline 9%-ish rate - whether this is deserved or simple profiteering is hard to say.

Last edited:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
They are cashing in on the tourists, I thought you natives up there had some form of funny handshake, a nod a wink or a weird phrase you had to utter to get the local prices? Maybe you've not been there long enough :laugh:

It’s a card, you have to be “in the know” and work in tourism to get one, or at a pinch sometimes wearing uniform or overalls works. 10% to 50% off.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It’s a card, you have to be “in the know” and work in tourism to get one, or at a pinch sometimes wearing uniform or overalls works. 10% to 50% off.

I will remember that, next time I go to Keswick, I will borrow a McDonalds Uniform, or, in my case, a B&Q Uniform might be more believable, I don't think there are many 75 year olds working in McDonalds ;)

Last time we were up that way, omlettes for 4, tea and pop and ice cream, still got change from 30 quid.

Chislenko

Veteran
We won't miss out on The Lakes as we live here but the prices have become absurd recently.

We had a week at Christmas in Grasmere a few years back and were astonished at the beer prices then.

I was having a smoke outside one pub and got talking to a local builder who introduced me to this place.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3767907

A pint was over 50% cheaper than where we had been drinking but obviously without his local knowledge we would never have discovered the place.

stephec

Legendary Member
Not many Macdonald’s in the Lake District. National Trust, Lake Cruises sort of thing would be better.

I remember sitting beside the lake in Bowness many years ago and thinking that it would be a licence to print money if you opened a McDonald's there.

Plenty of other people must've had the same idea though so it must be the council, or other such body, that's preventing it.

I remember sitting beside the lake in Bowness many years ago and thinking that it would be a licence to print money if you opened a McDonald's there.

Plenty of other people must've had the same idea though so it must be the council, or other such body, that's preventing it.

I don't think a McDonalds would add to the beauty of the Lakes.
Mind you Bowness is a bit busy for my liking - I prefer it quieter.

Top Bottom