My God, the price of everything going up!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
They are cashing in on the tourists, I thought you natives up there had some form of funny handshake, a nod a wink or a weird phrase you had to utter to get the local prices? Maybe you've not been there long enough :laugh:

Yup, I guess 25 years this November means we are still 'offcomers'. We also stand out as we are not God Botherers (lots here) and are therefore not worthy of being let into the secret handshake code.

As an aside too many publicans/chefs have watched Masterchef and have gone all pretentious on the menu front.

Bring back simple chicken & chips and scampi & chips in a basket I say.

It all went wrong with the start of having to make reservations to eat in many pubs.

In Bath around 4 years ago after a canal path walk (v.nice) at a canal-side pub; cod and chips twice and 4 large glasses of NZ Sauvignon came in at eye-watering £65.90. 😂😂😂

PK99

Legendary Member
No it was not.

Mind you our day was cheap compared to the guy we know of who took 4 guests to the fancy place over at Cark in Cartmel (name eludes me) and he came back with his wallet over £2000 lighter. 🙄

Would that be l'Enclume at Cartmel?
3* Michelin
Simon Rogan

One of the very best restaurants in the UK.

PK99

Legendary Member
Yup, I guess 25 years this November means we are still 'offcomers'. We also stand out as we are not God Botherers (lots here) and are therefore not worthy of being let into the secret handshake code.

As an aside too many publicans/chefs have watched Masterchef and have gone all pretentious on the menu front.

Bring back simple chicken & chips and scampi & chips in a basket I say.

It all went wrong with the start of having to make reservations to eat in many pubs.

In Bath around 4 years ago after a canal path walk (v.nice) at a canal-side pub; cod and chips twice and 4 large glasses of NZ Sauvignon came in at eye-watering £65.90. 😂😂😂

I disagree.

The improvement in quality if Pub Food is to be celebrated.

Very glad to see the back of "Basket Food"

The beer led pub, with basic catering in not a viable business model in most cases.

PK99

Legendary Member
Still not worth £400 a plate I don't care what they serve

By the same token, no bike is worth £5k. Yet some on here have stables if such bikes.

Apart from a health issues driven e-bike, i have not bought a new bike for the best part of 10 years, but a few times a year I eat at places like l'Enclume.

classic33

Leg End Member
I disagree.

The improvement in quality if Pub Food is to be celebrated.

Very glad to see the back of "Basket Food"

The beer led pub, with basic catering in not a viable business model in most cases.
I disagree.

They were at one time the cheapest places to get something to eat, if you were out in "the wilds" on a ride, or a walk. Now the fancy menus have taken over. You have to offer something your rivals don't do. And all too often that comes with a price increase, deserved or not. After all if you're paying more, it must be worth it.

Too many places are trying to make up money lost in the last two years. It can't be done without losses in the sector.

D

Deleted member 26715

By the same token, no bike is worth £5k. Yet some on here have stables if such bikes.

Apart from a health issues driven e-bike, i have not bought a new bike for the best part of 10 years, but a few times a year I eat at places like l'Enclume.

£5k you'll have no argument from me & you can include all your exempt e-bikes in that.

It's your money to spend however much you want on food, but no meal can be worth £400

PK99

Legendary Member
£5k you'll have no argument from me & you can include all your exempt e-bikes in that.

It's your money to spend however much you want on food, but no meal can be worth £400

It is not simply a meal, it is a 3 or 4 hour artistic experience.
You would pay the same to see some fat people in fancy clothes sing opera.

D

Deleted member 26715

It is not simply a meal, it is a 3 or 4 hour artistic experience.
You would pay the same to see some fat people in fancy clothes sing opera.

It's not an artistic experience it's an overpriced meal, I wouldn't pay anything to watch opera, jazz, heavy metal but that's completely different matter. But if you've convinced yourself it's worth it who am I to disillusion you.

D

Deleted member 26715

Either that or they are filled with books !

Strangely enough since posting that I have found we have at least 3 in the village, one at the local Co-op, one at the Village hall, & another outside one of the pubs, no idea if there are any more, but even with that knowledge I'm not sure I'd be prepared to leave a person who needs one for 20 minutes whilst I went & fetched one (10 minutes each way).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I understand the logic, but there is one out side our local Co-op unless somebody has a HA inside the shop & somebody knows the combination to the keypad & then knows how to use one, they just come across as an ornament.

I understand the organisers of a fun run are required to have one/several onsite/available but they normally get the St Johns in to do it, who will have the equipment & know how to use it. I know when I just to run Horse shows it was in our insurance policy we had to have medical on-site.

I'm not objecting to them & if they save lives then good, but it seems to me that somebody who has an interest in them convinced somebody it was a good idea to have them put everywhere, seems like a jobs for the boys type of affair, one of Boris's pals maybe.

Just a quick comment for info. The machine gives the user instructions though some previous training is useful but not essential.

A local first responder has given training sessions in our village where we have two defibrillators.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Back to the topic. Cafes, a staple of the bike ride but for me always a discretionary spend. I understand and don't object to the large price increases i've seen but I can no longer afford this. Over shorter, 50-60 miles, they're enjoyable but far from essential. We still stop but I've set my budget at £5.00, first I check the coffee cost and if there's sufficient left I'll have cake, if not I skip cake. Yesterday for example I spent £4.80, my two buddies £7.50!

I've taken to packing a banana, sandwich and a couple of fig rolls. Does the job! I find flat breads or Tortilla wraps make an excellent easily carried sandwich.

Saving around £8-10/week which is going towards the energy bill!!!

Top Bottom