My Good Deed For The Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Got a phone call from the shop I work in this afternoon, a cyclist had called in looking for the nearest bike shop as he was competing in a race and he had a problem. The owner phoned me to see if I could help so I popped down to see what was up and found the guy was riding the Pan Celtic Race and he had broken a Look Keo cleat on one of his shoes. I only had some old Deltas at home which were no good, so leaving his bike in the shop I ran him the fourteen miles to Havefordwest where Mike's Bikes sorted him out and then back to Fishguard to get his bike. He was very grateful, but as I said it makes up for the time I broke a chain in the middle of nowhere and a passing motorist happened to be a cyclist (Back in the days when we were still a minority geek sport) shoved my bike in the back and drove me home, well out of his way. So I happily paid my dues.

I'd never heard of this event before, but it is a hell of a challenge and he gave me his race number so I could follow his progress. His name is Paul Winder, race number 9 and I'm pleased to say he has made it to Crymych by now. You can follow the progress of the riders here, 2574K total distance. Hats off to them all.

https://dotwatcher.cc/race/pan-celtic-race-2021

raggydoll

Über Member
Good man! :okay:

Gillstay

Über Member
Bloomin heck that's quite a race over that terrain in this weather. You could have offered to ride his bike for him whilst he grabbed an hours kip in your car. Well done, its good to be kind when you can.

carpiste

Guru
That`s one hell f a ride! Not for my old legs I`m afraid ;)
And well done for giving him a leg up. Karma in reverse but I guess you`ll be repaid again at some point :angel:

I saw some of these guys grinding their way up out of St Ives the other day. At first I thought "ooh, a bike packer" then as about 6 others followed along it dawned on me that maybe they were in some kind of organised event. I'm quick on the uptake, me!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am the font of knowlege when it comes to the Pan Celtic Race ^_^ Pauls start was interesting as his tracker failed and then he popped up miles down the course. James Heuston is riding Brompton, he completed on it last year. Stuart Blofeld is having his second go on his EliptiGO and is riding well. Jenny Graham, the fastest woman round the world on a bike, is leading the ladies race. The youngest rider is 13 and the oldest is 71. There are some great stories of just normal people wanting to give it a go. It is a really well organised event and is on my bucket list.

https://pancelticrace2021.maprogress.com/

GuyBoden

Guru
Wow, what a route. :eek:
PCR2021_Full_Route.jpg

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I am the font of knowlege when it comes to the Pan Celtic Race ^_^ Pauls start was interesting as his tracker failed and then he popped up miles down the course. James Heuston is riding Brompton, he completed on it last year. Stuart Blofeld is having his second go on his EliptiGO and is riding well. Jenny Graham, the fastest woman round the world on a bike, is leading the ladies race. The youngest rider is 13 and the oldest is 71. There are some great stories of just normal people wanting to give it a go. It is a really well organised event and is on my bucket list.

https://pancelticrace2021.maprogress.com/
Paul told me about the Eliptigo and the Brompton.

I'd never heard of the event even though it passed within a mile of me and it took a bit of finding online as I couldn't quite remember the web address he gave me. I was in the shop this morning and about half a dozen riders who were obviously competing from the bikes and the kit they carried rode by.

If you do give it a go let us know, I'll be out to cheer you on with a flask of coffee and a cake to hand.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Paul told me about the Eliptigo and the Brompton.

I'd never heard of the event even though it passed within a mile of me and it took a bit of finding online as I couldn't quite remember the web address he gave me. I was in the shop this morning and about half a dozen riders who were obviously competing from the bikes and the kit they carried rode by.

If you do give it a go let us know, I'll be out to cheer you on with a flask of coffee and a cake to hand.
Thanks. But you cannot do that as it is a self supported race ^_^

Top Bottom