My "Handlebar Bag"

Do you use a Handlebar Bag for touring?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27474601@N07/4307077504/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27474601@N07/4306339541/in/photostream/

I've never been overly keen on handlebar bags. Like a ladies handbag, they encourage you to have too much unnecessary stuff convenient. Only, despite that, there are a few things I like to have close at hand. a) camera, ;) ipod, c) wallet, d) map.

This arrangement gives me camera and ipod, plus a few notes (my day's budget) and I think I'm happy with it... So the question is:
Handlebar Bag, No Handlebar Bag or Something Weird Inbetween

I love a good rumage

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Sometimes, I tour on a regular touring bike. Then I like a handlebar bag to put cameras and money in. And gloves, and lunch, and a map, and probably far too much other stuff.

Sometimes, I tour on a recumbent. Underseat steering means I may have a handlebar bag, but not in a place where I can easily get to it while rolling.

Sometimes, I tour on a Moulton. If so, I'll be using a Brompton front bag. Does that count as a handlebar bag...?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Is it fully waterproof?

I like my camera handy but in the rear jersey pocket it's vulnerable to sweat or rain ingress.

stewie griffin

Über Member
I use a 20 year old Carradice Overlander, I give it a spray of Nikwax now & again & it seems pretty watertight.
For me easy access for my camera is nice, map holder essential, but the main reason is being able to remove it every time I have to leave the bike, pop into a shop, filling station, tourist office, anything, that way my Camera, money, passport anything valuble is with me.
Call me over cautious but it even goes into the shower with me on a camp site!

andym

Über Member
Hydration backpack.

chris__P

I've never used a handlebar bag. I would think it would get in the way of all the other things I have on my handlebars - light, bell, computer, compass, occasionally my hands.

I could appreciate the benefits though - having to stop to rummage for the camera gets tedious. Interesting, Al Humphries, who spent 4 years cycling around the world, had a granny basket on the front which he swore by as being much better than a handlebar bag

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
chris__P said:
I've never used a handlebar bag. I would think it would get in the way of all the other things I have on my handlebars - light, bell, computer, compass, occasionally my hands.

Rixen & Kaul mount should take care of that for you.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I like a bar bag - easy to click off & take valuables with you.

Mrs Monkey favours a handlebar basket (like, I'm told, Al Humphreys) - her handbag goes in that, as does a waterproof.

Bodhbh

Guru
Probably a symptom of disorganisation but I do like the handlebar bag for easy and regular access to map, camera, etc. Like others I think too much stuff in there, including heavy guide books which I like to read at stops.

Once did use a triagular frame bag on a hired bike which seemed a good alternative (just reach down between the legs and unzip!). There's not enough space on my bike in the triangle howerver. Backpack seem to cause too much aggro reaching back for maps, but then I tend to check them alot as the contents goes in one ear...

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I took a recommendation from Mr Paul ( i think) and got a Topeak All Weather TriBag.
Fits on the top tube and is perfect for phone, keys, wallet and passport.

Top Bottom