My "Handlebar Bag"

Do you use a Handlebar Bag for touring?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The poster known as 'Handbag' aka Kats, who visits here on a sporadic basis, does actually cycle with a small handbag hanging from her handlebars....

Arch

Married to Night Train
John the Monkey said:
I like a bar bag - easy to click off & take valuables with you.

Yes, me too. And handy to reach the camera on the move, and have the map on top to read as you go. I have tobe a bit firm about not overloading it, but I'm getting there.

Never, ever, carried lipstick in it though. Don't use the stuff.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Are the bags in the OP waterproof? I don't want a large bar bag but a small one for camera and phone would be acceptable.

Armegatron

I used to use the bar bag all the time, but like you say, everything got thrown in there like the camera, bottles etc. So Ive demoted it in favour for a hydration pack.

I think when Im doing some big tours though Id put it back on in conjunction with other bags.

Arch

Married to Night Train
GregCollins said:
I always have lipsyl (?sp) in mine.:thumbsup:

I suppose if you count lipsyl... Mind you, I'm rarely organised enough to have that with me. I do have a little tin of vaseline that I usually forget to take with me.

Actually, I really very rarely have anything on my lips, I don't like the feel of it.

OP
OP
H

hubbike

rich p said:
Are the bags in the OP waterproof? I don't want a large bar bag but a small one for camera and phone would be acceptable.

Not waterproof really, but I don´t take many photos in the rain. in that case everything goes in small plastic bags and in panniers. When I get off the bike everything goes in my pockets.

shirokazan

Veteran
Only use the bar bag on significant tours and even then I've only got a mounting for it on my main tourer (Thorn Raven). My other light touring bike doesn't have a mounting but I seem to get by without the bag.

Incidentally, rich p, I don't have room in my bar bag for my camera but instead I just have it in a Lowepro bag (an Apex series bag): tightly slung around me I find it's conveniently to-hand.

Plax

Guru
I'm in a quandry over what type of bag to take with me on my tour.
I have panniers, a Carradice saddle bag, a handlebar bag, a tri bar bag and various rucksacks.

My favourite at the moment is my carradice barley but I don't want to take that with me as it's not convienient to take it off and carry it around. same with the handlebat bag, it doesn't have a quick release. I think I might take my handlebar bag for the map and keep tools in it and just leave it on the bike and take a pannier for other stuff (I have an ortleb rucksack convertor).

Top Bottom