My internet has been "compromised"..... have you had this scam phone call?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Two options here.I either let the answer machine take the call or I cut the power to the answer machine via remote control if I get caught....Cuts the call off and I dont hear a ring back if they try.

Had a spell where these calls were regular so I just left it to the generally answer machine but now I will answer in case it's work or someone I know but if they start that rubbish again I just cut them off as said.I rarely get these calls now.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'm so disappointed that I've never had one of these. I'd love to waste their time for a while so they can't be scamming anyone else.
I know, I sometimes feel left out. Once had a call from some guy about the 'accident' I just had....????. Kept him on the phone for a while, boring him to death about things.

Just to prove me wrong, this morning:

"Ring, Ring"

Unusual number, certainly not local. I pick up:

Pause, silence. Clunk, click. Suddenly there's the sound of a very large call centre:

"Good morning, this is Mr Hampden from Microsoft.."

He's speaking English. The daft chumps don't even think to speak German. They're assuming their mark is well enough educated to understand English, with an accent, on the phone, but not smart enough to work out that it's a scam. He obviously doesn't have a clue who I am, and it'll stay that way.

"Yeah, sure you are." I say

"What..? Pardon..? this is Mr Hampden from Microsoft. I am calling to inform you..."

"You know what?"

"Pardon?"

"I don't believe a word you've just said"

Click. Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep...

I'll be ready for them next time...

Last edited:
Got a computer generated voicemail with an American accent today: "Your IP address has been compromised"
Shame I wasn't around to answer the phone because I could have led them on a merry dance whilst exploring their networking knowledge in an extremely dense Glaswegian accent

Top Bottom