My internet has been "compromised"..... have you had this scam phone call?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Land line rang. When I answered, a recorded voice informed me it was my service provider, my ISP had been breeched in several countries and that I need to "press 1 to speak to an operator".
To me it was obviously a scam so ended the call and googled it. Sure enough..... it apparently started in Ireland in 2014 but has now hit this country.
They will try to get personal information or money to solve the none existant problem.
As its been going for at least 4 years I assume people do, sadly, get caught out.

I'm so disappointed that I've never had one of these. I'd love to waste their time for a while so they can't be scamming anyone else.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We get maybe 2 or 3 calls a week on the landland, sometimes they are real people other times automated calls.
They follow the same format. Our internet has been compromised and will be turned off in 60 minutes unless we follow their instructions.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
On Radio 4 the other week there was, what sounded like a reasonably intelligent woman, who had a similar call from 'her bank'. The fraudster got her to transfer over £200k into a bogus account. Her genuine bank told her she had no recourse to refund.

So, whilst it seems like an obvious scam, there are plenty of honest people being caught out.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm so disappointed that I've never had one of these. I'd love to waste their time for a while so they can't be scamming anyone else.

"Land line rang. When I answered, a recorded voice informed me"
That would be an interesting conversation :laugh:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
On Radio 4 the other week there was, what sounded like a reasonably intelligent woman, who had a similar call from 'her bank'. The fraudster got her to transfer over £200k into a bogus account. Her genuine bank told her she had no recourse to refund.

So, whilst it seems like an obvious scam, there are plenty of honest people being caught out.
Yes............as I say, very sad.

Helenbells

With my OAP helpless old lady squeaky voice, I answer such calls.
Have you got a computer... yes... is it on... yes. Follow what I say and your internet will be mended. Oh good, I have had trouble says I.
He then tells me to do, this do that, do the other. wants the identification number etc etc . Quite a few questions later.. At this stage I need a wee
Finally he asks my password or whatever (no computer has been harmed during this call by the way)
I say, it is quite a long one because of security thingy whatsits...
he says he will be careful writing it down..
I say, are you ready, I 'll read it out carefully.

YOU ARE TRYING TO HACK ME

He puts down the phone...... I smile all the way to the loo

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
With my OAP helpless old lady squeaky voice, I answer such calls.
Have you got a computer... yes... is it on... yes. Follow what I say and your internet will be mended. Oh good, I have had trouble says I.
He then tells me to do, this do that, do the other. wants the identification number etc etc . Quite a few questions later.. At this stage I need a wee
Finally he asks my password or whatever (no computer has been harmed during this call by the way)
I say, it is quite a long one because of security thingy whatsits...
he says he will be careful writing it down..
I say, are you ready, I 'll read it out carefully.

YOU ARE TRYING TO HACK ME

He puts down the phone...... I smile all the way to the loo
Ahhh.....but the real question is.....does it make your wee more enjoyable?

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Not helped when the banks themselves ask for you password when they phone you up, and act as if you are daft when you won't give it to them

fted33

Yep get two or three times a week from the BT technical department. Something connected to your internet is causing a problem. Well there is the toaster, The toilet, the Oven, The kitchen sink and what finally got them was the Tortoise. Took a good 30 minutes to go through everything I could think of. I have not been contacted since. As the landline we have is from a house that was originally here 3 years ago and the house and owners are gone the BT names don't match. Ask them for the name on the bill and the a/c number. They will not be able to provide it. Their excuse is they are the technical department and do not have access.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have never ever heard of a genuine bank asking customers to hand over passwords.

It may have been a "security check" rather than an actual password, and it was the bank as I phoned them back on the proper number and they confirmed it was them.

Virgin media keep on doing the same. When they said they couldn't talk to me till they'd checked it was me - they'd phoned me up remember - I just told them we seemed to have
an impasse and I wasn't bothered.

Top Bottom