My internet has been "compromised"..... have you had this scam phone call?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

It may have been a "security check" rather than an actual password, and it was the bank as I phoned them back on the proper number and they confirmed it was them.

Virgin media keep on doing the same. When they said they couldn't talk to me till they'd checked it was me - they'd phoned me up remember - I just told them we seemed to have
an impasse and I wasn't bothered.

I've had a security check before, I was trying to buy a car with my card and it was declined to start with, but the bank phoned checked I was who I said I was then allowed the purchase.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I tell most callers to Feck off so im covered, gets a bit bitchy when its mum calling!!

I had the BT one last week,i dont have BT

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've had a security check before, I was trying to buy a car with my card and it was declined to start with, but the bank phoned checked I was who I said I was then allowed the purchase.

That kind of makes sense from the context, so the call isn't out the blue as it were.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Sir, your internet has been compromised.
Internet? What is internet?
Do you have a computer sir?
Yes.
And do you browse websites?
Websites? What is this websites?
Do you go to google?
Yes, I flew there on an airplane.
But do you go to google on your computer?
Only when I play flight simulator.
But do you search for things on the internet?
What is internet?
(Sighs). Sir, when you use your computer and search for something, you are using the internet.
No no, I am using my computer.
But your computer is connected to the internet sir.
No, it is connected to power socket.
But sir, it is using wifi to connect to the internet.
What is wife?
Not wife, wifi.
What is wifey?
It is the thing that connects you to the internet.
My wifey connects me to the internet?
Yes.
My wifey is dancing for me. Shall I tell her to connect to internet?
Yes please.
Where is internet?
It is on your wifi.
Internet is on my wifey?... no, my wifey is on the internet.
So you do have internet?
No, my wifey has internet.
That means you have internet in your house?
Shall I call the pest control to remove internet?
No, you have to let me access your computer so I can remove the virus.
But I just came from the doctor because of my virus.
No sir, it is like a bug, but for your computer.
Shall I call pest control for bug?
No sir, I can help you with that.
Ok.
Now sir, please give me your IP address.
Shall I go to the toilet?
No sir, you have to type ipconfig and give me your IP address.
It is not working.
What does it say?
Command not recognised.
Which operating system are you using?
Computer one.
But is it Windows?
No, it is computer one. I just said that. Did you hear me? Something wrong with phone?
No sir, I heard you fine. Can you try typing ifconfig?
Yes, now it works.
Oh so you're using Linux. This might not work. Let me see if I can get you to click on another link. Can you go to this website?
What is website?
Sir, I cannot believe you are using Linux and do not know what a website is.
It's my wifey computer.
Oh, can i talk to your wife?
No.
Why?
She dancing for me.
Ok look, which application do you use to search?
Windows Explorer.
But you use Linux. That does not have Windows Explorer.
I use Wine.
Sir, I do not want to talk about drinks.
No, wine, wine, i use windows on the wine.
Sir, I think you are wasting my time and I must go now.
But wait, I am really using wine. Hello? Hellooooo?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've had a fake BT one, when they told me it was a problem with the router I said "well you can reboot it remotely" the guy told me they couldn't so I told him you ain't BT then.

"Land line rang. When I answered, a recorded voice informed me"
That would be an interesting conversation :laugh:

Hey I'm eager. I'll take what I can get :okay:

Chris S

Legendary Member
My elderly aunt has had a couple of these calls. I think she fell for the first one because her iPad was out of action for a week or two. She was prepared the second time though.

Syd

It may have been a "security check" rather than an actual password, and it was the bank as I phoned them back on the proper number and they confirmed it was them.

Virgin media keep on doing the same. When they said they couldn't talk to me till they'd checked it was me - they'd phoned me up remember - I just told them we seemed to have
an impasse and I wasn't bothered.
I got a call out of the blue from the ‘fraud team’ for my credit card company. They couldn’t tell me more until I answered questions I wasn’t comfortable answering as I wasn’t 100% sure they were who they claiming to be.

It was agreed I’d hang up, call the number of back of my credit card and ask to get pit through to the fraud team and the person I was speaking with would put a note on my account to speak with them.

Result was the call had been genuine and the CC fraud team member commented she wished more folk were like me as it would make her job easier.

Ps the transaction being queried was one I have made, they were just querying as it didn’t fit my ‘usual pattern.’

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I got a call out of the blue from the ‘fraud team’ for my credit card company. They couldn’t tell me more until I answered questions I wasn’t comfortable answering as I wasn’t 100% sure they were who they claiming to be.

It was agreed I’d hang up, call the number of back of my credit card and ask to get pit through to the fraud team and the person I was speaking with would put a note on my account to speak with them.

Result was the call had been genuine and the CC fraud team member commented she wished more folk were like me as it would make her job easier.

Ps the transaction being queried was one I have made, they were just querying as it didn’t fit my ‘usual pattern.’
The potential 'scam' on that one is they don't put their phone down and just play a recording of a 'dial tone' down the phone then pretend to answer the phone but you are still connected to the scammers

snorri

Legendary Member
We get maybe 2 or 3 calls a week.......They follow the same format. Our internet has been compromised and will be turned off in 60 minutes unless we follow their instructions.
I had that one twice recently, just ignored the first caller and refused to do what the second guy asked on the grounds that I had already gone through the procedure with his colleague a day or two before and it could upset the procedure if we went through it again. The caller hung up at that point:sad:.

Top Bottom