My latest acquisition - an as-yet unknown 52cm (20.5")model - Benotto.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi to you all out there - yes I am probably nuts but ever since I saw the Model 3000 belonging to Malcolm Summers on the Classic Lightweight UK site I have been looking out for one that my rather short stature could cope with.

Last night just after securing it on E'bay I sent this message out to a very knowledgeable Benotto owner/rider :-

I have just secured a 52cm Benotto that has been sadly neglected and is in need of Short Stature Male Nursing Skills (I have put myself up for the job).

Oh well - long winter months in rural West Lancashire can become quite fruitful.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@TheCyclingRooster you are teasing us , we need pics please

next time anybody wants an Italian Beauty please ask me first

Hi biggs682. Nice collection of machines but I could not ride any of them even with my 140mm Thorn Cranks ( I'm 4' 10" with a 23" inside leg).
As for the pics - I have not transferred the initial purchase ones to the annoying Picture Hosting site.

Is there a way of taking them directly from my PC?

I had a look and commented on your Facebook page and to pick up-on a comment by yourself :---

"well that was a glorious 20 mile early am ride today on the Soens , its hard work only having 6 close ratio gears but it was worth it"
Back in the mid 60's I would ride into work every morning on my 19.5" Fixed Wheel 1937 Hetchins Track Frame on Sprints & Tubs :bicycle:- a run of some 8miles with a Duffle Bag on my back and then back home at night - Yes the morning run was always quite invigorating and it set me up for the day:wacko:.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@TheCyclingRooster there are a couple of ways of doing photos , easiest way i find is to post them on face book then save the ones you want to use on to the pc and then they are the right file size to be able to post on here and any other forum you want to .

Shame you have no pics of the Hetchins as well .

Just a tip if you use the @ in front of a members id they get a message to let them know they were tagged in

Next time on facebook give me like they are free

Hi biggs682. I will get my head around this later this evening - I am off to collect the Benotto and a quick visit to Atlantic Boulevard in Bury,Lancashire on the way back home.
I can show you images of the Hetchins both before and after it was nicked by some low-life and stripped totally naked and the double crown forks removed.

Hi to @biggs682 and those that might be following this item. Here are a few images of the bike as it was upon reaching home with it. The bike is now striped and ready for a completely new identity - it has well-worn-out the current suite of cloths.
I am intending keeping chrome forks (possible new ones) and having the frame Stove Enamelled ( NOT painted like a car).
Because the frame will be reinstated as a Retro it it is probably going to be African Violet with a Champagne seat-tube panel and head-tube with the lugs lined in Champagne.
If I rebuild this Benotto as per the original specification I will not be able to ride it - I need 140mm cranks since a total left knee replacement in November 2007.

In contrast to this Benotto - A few rather old Mono Chrome images of my old 1937 Hetchins Vibrant Triangle 2day special event track frame after it had been converted for road use.
The 'All Black' images were pre - being nicked by some Liverpudlian Low Life back in the middle 60's and the image with the Chrome Forks was after I got just the frame back minus the original forks and all of the good kit. I then rebuilt it.
Note the silly BIG FAT oilskin cape-roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100920141536.jpg 100920141533.jpg 100920141539.jpg 100920141540.jpg 100920141537.jpg 100920141531.jpg Hetchins(Circa 1962 Pre Chrome Fork.jpg Hetchins(Pre Double Chainset).jpg Hetchins(taken Circa 1964).jpg Hetchins(taken Circa 1965, Rebuilt.jpg

100920141536.jpg
100920141533.jpg

Hi biggs682. The images do not really show the state that the bike is in - Indeed I would not be seen dead and propped up on it.
The 700c's whilst had clearly covered very little mileage at all are perished and severely cracked. Some of the spokes are badly rusted and at risk of causing wheel collapses.
There was no rear functioning brake but the lever and calliper were there.
The front Shimano 105 shifter is bent and did not function.
The saddle is a rather old crappy and damaged Cinelli Unicanitor leather one
The bike in real terms is a recoverable basket-case. Currently - some would say that it might be better scrapped and recycled into cans for Italian Peeled Plum Tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch this space - it is going to C&G Finishes next week albeit I have had it to Atlantic Boulevard in Bury,Lancashire, Liverpool is easier and closer and they are Fellow Scousers.

What did you think of the Hetchins? - albeit the images are from way-way back in 1964.

Hi to you all. Just a quick update. I have now got a pair of new & genuine Pantograph Benotto Chromed Forks. The frame and forks that I bought are now with C&G Finishes,Liverpool and are going to be Stove Enamelled in a Metallic Blue that will not clash with the blue on the Benotto Decals. The forks will be put aside in favour of the genuine chromed ones.
The frame is having the top cable guides removed and cable stops are being put underneath the top-tube. I intend having the nutted rear bridge changed in favour of an Allen Key bridge.
I am unsure whether to retain the down-tube changers and the original Nuovo Gran Sport dérailleur along with the Campagnolo front shifter or go for a modern set-up with a 8spd and Mirage/Veloce levers and further upgrade with a triple as opposed to the original double.

Looking forward to seeing the results of the refurb

Hi uphillstruggler. The Benotto is now wearing a new coat of Stove Enamel and it is a total change from the Champagne of the original choice by Benotto.
The forks that were with the bike were OK but lightly pitted. 'In for a Penny - In for a Pound' actually many many many pounds - hence the new Benotto forks from Hungary,the original forks were stripped and re-finished as per the frame and they will remain as spare.
The bike is now in the throws of being built-up and is standing on a rather nice but not expensive new wheels with Vittoria Rubino rubber on them.
I would envisage a couple of weeks and she will be rolling - with me on-board.

Hi uphillstruggler. The Benotto is now wearing a new coat of Stove Enamel and it is a total change from the Champagne of the original choice by Benotto.
The forks that were with the bike were OK but lightly pitted. 'In for a Penny - In for a Pound' actually many many many pounds - hence the new Benotto forks from Hungary,the original forks were stripped and re-finished as per the frame and they will remain as spare.
The bike is now in the throws of being built-up and is standing on a rather nice but not expensive new wheels with Vittoria Rubino rubber on them.
I would envisage a couple of weeks and she will be rolling - with me on-board.

in for a pound sounds about right, these things are never cheap but its worth it to have the bike that you really want rather than what you can put up with.

any up to date images?

@TheCyclingRooster - what are you doing for decals?

I've got a similar bike which will be looked at once the LBS have sorted out a stuck carbon seatpost.

I've a pair of NOS Benotto chrome forks for it via eBay which will be fitted shortly.

Hi DCL. The Decals were sourced by C&G Finishes,Liverpool albeit I could have got the same ones from several E'bay advertises. The only one that seems to be unavailable is the Paris - Roubaix one. The Benotto is actually a Paris - Roubaix edition. The dilemma that I was in - was not choosing a colour that classed with the Benotto Blue but also allowed the white name and outline to be perfectly visible.
The Benotto Pantograph forks that I have also came from E'bay - a seller called deansbailey in Budapest,Hungary.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Hi DCL. The Decals were sourced by C&G Finishes,Liverpool albeit I could have got the same ones from several E'bay advertises. The only one that seems to be unavailable is the Paris - Roubaix one. The Benotto is actually a Paris - Roubaix edition. The dilemma that I was in - was not choosing a colour that classed with the Benotto Blue but also allowed the white name and outline to be perfectly visible.
The Benotto Pantograph forks that I have also came from E'bay - a seller called deansbailey in Budapest,Hungary.

I've the same issue; mine's also a Paris-Roubaix one and appears to be only 25 bikes later than yours :thumbsup: . Or was until the previous owner made a mess of it. This one's mine - as you can see it's been 'messed about with' a little with only the frame, shifters and brakes being original:

Benotto-1_zps7bceb1d1.jpg

Benotto-tag_zps6873e933.jpg

Thinking so far is:

- Get the stuck seatpost removed; it's upside down in the LBS with a load of WD40 in the tube!
- Respray in gold. Possibly, although I might just leave as is.
- Organise some decals
- Change the forks for the originals I've picked up.
- Replace the wheelset as I've a nice Giepiemme set / replace the front with a Mavic MA2 to match the rear.
- New saddle / seatpost as I've a NOS one.

Aim for 2015's L'Eroica Britannia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom