My latest acquisition - an as-yet unknown 52cm (20.5")model - Benotto.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
in for a pound sounds about right, these things are never cheap but its worth it to have the bike that you really want rather than what you can put up with.

any up to date images?

Hi again uphillstrugger. The point about re-building this Benotto is that it is for me and not to comply with 'Period Faithful' kit. That would not/could not happen anyway because I can no-longer ride 170mm cranks,I am on 140mm Thorn cranks with Stronglight rings. I am looking to build a triple (24:36:50) or (24:38:52) with a Shimano 7spd screw-on 14 - 28.
I have newly built wheels but have also had the original Mavic MA2 rims and Miche small flange hubs rebuilt with stainless spokes.
The original choice of Campagnolo Down-tube shifters but with a Campagnolo triple dérailleur and the Nuovo Grand Sport rear derailleur are going to be my drive-chain operating choices.
Currently the alloy bars are grooved for aero levers and mounted on a traditional 125mm aluminium stem but with non-aero levers and exposed cables.

This 'Re-born Benotto is really going to look the 'Dogs Danglers' when out and about in the lanes of West Lancashire.

My next re-build project is a 2003 Steve Goff frame-set that is in a fabulous Cobalt Blue Metallic. It has been started by having the braze-on clamp mount removed and a few cosmetic blemishes attended to. The frame will be going to C&G Finishes,Liverpool for some serious looking-at and probably a new Cobalt Blue jacket but in a flamboyant finish along with some Chrome forks.

I've the same issue; mine's also a Paris-Roubaix one and appears to be only 25 bikes later than yours :thumbsup: . Or was until the previous owner made a mess of it. This one's mine - as you can see it's been 'messed about with' a little with only the frame, shifters and brakes being original:

Benotto-1_zps7bceb1d1.jpg

Benotto-tag_zps6873e933.jpg

Thinking so far is:

- Get the stuck seatpost removed
- Respray in gold
- Organise some decals
- Change the forks for the originals I've picked up.
- Replace the wheelset as I've a nice Giepiemme set / replace the front with a Mavic MA2 to match the rear.
- New saddle / seatpost as I've a NOS one.

Aim for 2015's L'Eroica Britannia.

Hi again DCL. You say you are :- Replace the wheelset as I've a nice Giepiemme set

Do you mean the Chain-set?
Interestingly enough,my Benotto came from Leeds (St Vincent Charity) and the bike had a Gipiemme 52-42 on it (now on E'bay) because I will never ride 170mm cranks again and when I die the bike will be going with me - into the 'After-life'.

Hi again uphillstrugger. The point about re-building this Benotto is that it is for me and not to comply with 'Period Faithful' kit. That would not/could not happen anyway because I can no-longer ride 170mm cranks,I am on 140mm Thorn cranks with Stronglight rings. I am looking to build a triple (24:36:50) or (24:38:52) with a Shimano 7spd screw-on 14 - 28.
I have newly built wheels but have also had the original Mavic MA2 rims and Miche small flange hubs rebuilt with stainless spokes.
The original choice of Campagnolo Down-tube shifters but with a Campagnolo triple dérailleur and the Nuovo Grand Sport rear derailleur are going to be my drive-chain operating choices.
Currently the alloy bars are grooved for aero levers and mounted on a traditional 125mm aluminium stem but with non-aero levers and exposed cables.

This 'Re-born Benotto is really going to look the 'Dogs Danglers' when out and about in the lanes of West Lancashire.

My next re-build project is a 2003 Steve Goff frame-set that is in a fabulous Cobalt Blue Metallic. It has been started by having the braze-on clamp mount removed and a few cosmetic blemishes attended to. The frame will be going to C&G Finishes,Liverpool for some serious looking-at and probably a new Cobalt Blue jacket but in a flamboyant finish along with some Chrome forks.

I wish you the best of luck with this project, it looked pretty darn good before the work so am looking forward to the finished bike. the next one sounds good too.

I get out and about in your neck of the woods sometimes when working that way, great lanes to ride around.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@TheCyclingRooster - no, it's got a 9-speed carbon Pazazz crankset. Along with carbon forks / seatpost :wacko:

The replacement wheelset is Giepiemme although the original Mavic rear has a 9-speed titanium Campag Record cassette.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You are going to get 2 different trains of thought here. It will be 50% to keep it original and 50% to strip it and make it like new. My advice is that it is your money and your bike, do it as you want it. If you are going to strip it. It is far simpler to take the frame to a car sprayer and let them strip it and spray it in a colour you choose. It is not expensive and saves so much time and effort.

It is only my opinion but I have been in the same situation.

It is only my opinion but I have been in the same situation.[/QUOTE]
You are going to get 2 different trains of thought here. It will be 50% to keep it original and 50% to strip it and make it like new. My advice is that it is your money and your bike, do it as you want it. If you are going to strip it. It is far simpler to take the frame to a car sprayer and let them strip it and spray it in a colour you choose. It is not expensive and saves so much time and effort.

It is only my opinion but I have been in the same situation.

Hi Steve (in Denmark). As I have previously pointed out, I could not re-build a faithful to original example if I wanted to - because of my replacement left knee and the limitations of the bend at the top of the pedal stroke - made worse by my rather short stature. The decision to re-build it 'for me' rather than for 'The School of The Faithful' was simply cut and dried.
As far as re-finishing the frame goes,it has been correctly Stove Enamelled and not spray painted or God Forgive - Powder Coated.
The decision to take it to C&G Finishes was quite simply because I have knowledge of their work since the early 60's when they were in Back Faulkner Street,Liverpool and I have most highly recommended them to many others over the years albeit the original owners have long since severed their links with the business.
Their current premises are easy to get to and especially from the South of The City and the motorway networks of the M6/M62/M56.

A huuuuuuggge hello to you all. Well the Benotto is all but needing a few tweaks to finish it albeit I have not been out on it yet.
Spinning the rear wheel and operating the friction shifters with the bike suspended has flagged up a few issues that were partly expected but will be/are being addressed.
I have realised that a 26 tooth rear sprocket is very definitely the largest that will work with the short cage Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport rear dérailleur.
It is also looking like a 26 tooth inner of 3 rings is the smallest that will function without chain slap. I just might stick with the current 24T until my new 7spd 13-25 screw-on arrives.
Since taking the early images, I have added a Chrome Effect vinyl chain-stay protector.
I sourced a Campagnolo metal self adhesive one - it has Campagnolo on in blue. It is quite something - but at £18.99 + £7.00 postage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
161120141595.jpg
161120141608.jpg
161120141602.jpg
161120141609.jpg
161120141610.jpg
161120141596.jpg

To get the full effect of the change to this once sadly neglected steed - refer back to my post of 15th September.

That'll be interesting to see.

Hi Cycleops. I guess by you rather short reply that - you are already there!!!!!!!!!! :angel:. Could it be that you were really referring to the 170mm crank comment?
I can assure you that unless they do a total double leg transplant or many years of painful lengthening by orthopaedic procedure - I am stuck with 140mm cranks.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi

Ive not read all up thread, though you say its for L'Eroica Britannia?

The Italian L'Eroica are strict on genuine period parts, In not sure about the English one

Will you be able to enter with them modern wheels, tyres,saddle and brakes ect?

Nice job by the way :smile:

Hi

Ive not read all up thread, though you say its for L'Eroica Britannia?

The Italian L'Eroica are strict on genuine period parts, In not sure about the English one

Will you be able to enter with them modern wheels, tyres and brakes ect?

Nice job by the way :smile:

Hi YahudaMoon. I don't recall ever saying that the Benotto was going up for anything but indeed I did state that it was going to be a sympathetic retro-build project.
It could not possibly be a faithful rebuild project simply because I cannot ride 170mm,172.5mm or even 175mm cranks that would have been period kit.
Since my total left knee replacement in November 2007 I have found that I can only ride a maximum of 140mm cranks (Tandem - Stoker) - courtesy of SJS Cycles and their Thorn brand. I am using Stronglight rings on a triple set-up. All of my bikes,some built and sold-on,some retained have all be built the same way.
I also use Marcel Berthet Lyotard Platform Pedals on them all. That way I can go from one bike to an other using the same set-up.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Looking at it I don't want to paint my Benotto blue to match the forks I have ... I don't want to paint my Benotto blue ... (repeat to save myself work).

It's an excellent job.

Top Bottom