My latest car insurance rant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Try getting insurance for a 24 year old new driver who is a musician and lives in central Manchester.
Cheapest quote is about the same as the cost of the car
Going back some 30 yrs or so. A friend's daughter passed her test and dad tried to add her to his insurance on his sporty hatchback.
The quotes were horrendously expensive. So much so that they bought her a 2 year old mini, insured it for the year and saved money on the cheapest quote.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
When child 1 had one in her first car, that was fitted by a third party under one of the front seats and was equally as interesting. She was rear ended by another driver. When (upset) she rang the insurance company, their response was "Yes we know. We also know where you were and you were stationary when you were hit."

If we had these in all motor vehicles I'm sure we'd see a significant drop in RTCs and associated casualties.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Try getting insurance once over 80. My car has gone up to about £900 and the motorhome similar. Motorhome is now sold and hope to get a trailer tent or similar if I can find one at a reasonable price. Shopping around for the car has so far produced negative results as nobody will take on new business from me. I do have an unblemished record as no claims and no fines or convictions of any kind. We tried getting me added to a son’s policy for a specific event but refused. D in L used to work in insurance so pretty savvy but could not swing it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Shopping around for the car has so far produced negative results as nobody will take on new business from me. I do have an unblemished record as no claims and no fines or convictions of any kind.

And yet they'll happily insure people with proven records of dangerous behaviour, like this guy with 72 points on his licence and is still on the road.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/metro-uk/20191022/281676846688558

See also https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39053658 but he is only on 62 points.

I do wonder what their insurance companies charge as a premium but I'm more worried that people like this are considered insurable at all.

Drago

Legendary Member
Talking insurance, our car cost £260 for a top of range kia ceed.
My van costs £230 for a doblo 12.50diesel.
Blimey, you must be made of money. £103 for my Smart which is garaged, £210 for my top spec XC90 R-Design which lives on the driveway because it won't fit in my garage - that's a shame because the garage is a tandem double. The Volvo is more expensive than it would otherwise be because my NCD is tied up in the Smart, so I only got the 3 years goodwill NCD on the Volvo that they gave me for being a new customer with no claims history.

You guys must all live in the Bronx and put 'sword swallower' as your occupations :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

Just about to start this with the house insurance

oldwheels

Legendary Member
But Glasgowcyclist have these people got any insurance far less little details like mot which of course means no tax. Cannot remember the statistics but a surprising number of people are just not in the system so pay nothing whatsoever.

MarkF

Guru
Been through it today, the VanVan insurance started off at about £85 with Bennetts 3 years ago. I got a renewal last week for £168, shopped online and it was £101 with Bennetts, including the TP30 I'd forgotten to tell them about.^_^

Rang them, was rude, blanked them and moved to another company for £85, of course this new company will behave just like Bennetts...........

Slick

Guru
The obvious issue with selecting anything solely based on cheapest quote only is you never know exactly how well insured you are until it's too late.

D

Deleted member 26715

The obvious issue with selecting anything solely based on cheapest quote only is you never know exactly how well insured you are until it's too late.
I disagree with that it doesn't matter how much you pay the proof in the pudding is never known until you try to claim

Levo-Lon

Guru
Blimey, you must be made of money. £103 for my Smart which is garaged, £210 for my top spec XC90 R-Design which lives on the driveway because it won't fit in my garage - that's a shame because the garage is a tandem double. The Volvo is more expensive than it would otherwise be because my NCD is tied up in the Smart, so I only got the 3 years goodwill NCD on the Volvo that they gave me for being a new customer with no claims history.

You guys must all live in the Bronx and put 'sword swallower' as your occupations :laugh:

Peterborough is full of uninsured drivers and has a few thieving shytebags to keep policies up.

What used to make me laugh was i could insure a1200cc kawasaki zx12r fot about 70 quid but a small 600 cost nearly double that for half the power :laugh:

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Peterborough is full of uninsured drivers and has a few thieving shytebags to keep policies up.

What used to make me laugh was i could insure a1200cc kawasaki zx12r fot about 70 quid but a small 600 cost nearly double that for half the power :laugh:
I never knew it was so bad until, the ET recently started reporting at length on cases in court...:whistle:
OT, regarding hiking prices spill out everywhere. We were due a new Norton Antivirus, Norton saw fit to renew us, without permission, without prior warning, even though we buy third party. Cost £78. Cancelled after a bit of faff and after a bit more faff trying to buy third party, purchased it from Norton, cost....£29.
Cheeky barstewards.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Currently getting some new quotes as the car insurance is up for renewal and I've taken the Celinette off. Unfortunately Mrs Celine, with her habit of reversing her car into things, is still on the policy. Lowest quote £119.23. Highest quote £11327.69 :eek: Eleven thousand. For a six year old Ford Ka. From a company called 'Only Smart Drivers'. I wonder if this company is just a cunning plan to snare @Drago

Top Bottom