My latest car related entertainment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sorry if your having lunch

My mate had a Auto Triumph Acclaim, not that being an auto matters..

We were in this very small car after a very heavy night... He power chucked at the windscreen!!
Sheer horror for me..
He just used his sleeve to try and clear a view..  xx(:laugh:
Things you remember while reading posts

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Finally this debacle seems to be drawing to a conclusion :wacko:

After admitting liability for the engine falling out and repairing all the damage, further faults started to develop. At first a few extra rattles in the cabin, then a crackly speaker in the drivers door and then some worrying rumbling noises and sensations through the steering wheel.

The dealer agreed that they would replace the vehicle at their cost and so the search began :laugh: VW had stated a previous fault with the gearbox was a "design characteristic" and held firm when I tried to get them to investigate it so I used this against them, stating I wouldn't accept a replacement with the same 6-speed DSG gearbox. They agreed that this was a fair request as they didnt want to lose face by backing down. Unfortunately for them this only left the top-of-the-range engine/gearbox combo with it's 7-speed DSG gearbox :whistle:

The hunt has been ongoing for about 3 months now - up until this weekend they had only found me two cars and neither of them were the correct spec. The first one they offered me had the 6-speed gearbox that I didn't want but I seriously considered it just to draw things to a close. I contacted them that afternoon and told them I'd have it. I'd been told it was soon to come in to stock and had been reserved for me. The next morning I got an email telling me one of their sister branches had accidentally sold it to someone else :rolleyes:

The next one was equally annoying - again it was the wrong spec with the 6-speed gearbox and this time a lower trim level, but a few years newer. I spent over an hour in the dealership looking at various cars to decide if I would accept the drop in trim level and eventually agreed that I would, just to draw things to a close (again). This time I got an email the next day telling me the brand manager had decided I couldn't have it as it was too expensive :angry:

I was getting a bit peeved at this point due to the constant time wasting and generally piss poor customer service so I went in again and asked for the name of the next manager up the tree. They wouldn't give me their contact details :ohmy:

This was the final straw, so I went home and did some googling until I'd found the name of the managing director of the garage's parent company :laugh: I sent him a factual email on Saturday of this week, had a personal meeting with him yesterday and they found me a new car today :becool: Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll be picking up my new Passat GT BiTDi 4Motion :laugh::okay: It's a few months older than the car it is replacing and has done a few thousand miles more, but it has the better engine and gearbox along with several optional extra's that make it a worthy replacement :becool: I've never had a heated steering wheel before :ohmy::laugh:

Wifey isn't particularly thrilled with it all as she prefers the R-Line interior trim but I'm more interested in the dynamic chassis control, four wheel drive and 240bhp :okay:I won't be looking at the seats while I'm driving :laugh:

It's a shame it had to get raised to the top before I got a result but there you go - it all seems to have worked out well in the end, but not without a fair bit of graft on my part to get here :wacko:

KneesUp

Guru
A heated steering wheel and 240bhp ... I mean I'm glad you've sorted it out, it sounds a bloody nightmare, and the customer service shockingly bad, but no wonder the planet is frying! Who needs 240bhp in a road car? I had 140bhp in one of mine, and that was quicker than ever I needed.

I too have never had a heated steering wheel, but I've had the same pair of Dents driving gloves for a dozen or so years and have never, ever, not for one moment, even before I had the gloves, have I thought "my life would be improved in some minuscule way if only this steering wheel were heated"

screenman

Legendary Member
A heated steering wheel and 240bhp ... I mean I'm glad you've sorted it out, it sounds a bloody nightmare, and the customer service shockingly bad, but no wonder the planet is frying! Who needs 240bhp in a road car? I had 140bhp in one of mine, and that was quicker than ever I needed.

I too have never had a heated steering wheel, but I've had the same pair of Dents driving gloves for a dozen or so years and have never, ever, not for one moment, even before I had the gloves, have I thought "my life would be improved in some minuscule way if only this steering wheel were heated"

It is a nice extra on cold days, as for gloves they do not work for me when driving.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds like the endless fun we had we a meriva, power steering cut outs, leaky sun roof and electric windows that would stick on top of which the cam belt started making alarming noises so we traded it in asap for our dacia which mrs ck loves and so far has never let us down mind you its a 2014 plate with only 20 0000 miles on the clock

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Speaking of heated steering wheels, I appear to be one of the few who hates heated seats. My wife loves them (it was a chilly -10 today). I can't stand them -I feel like I've peed myself when they are on. Prior to experiencing them, I never ever ever thought "hey I really need heated seats!"

Good to hear it was sorted out though!

KneesUp

Guru
Speaking of heated steering wheels, I appear to be one of the few who hates heated seats. My wife loves them (it was a chilly -10 today). I can't stand them -I feel like I've peed myself when they are on. Prior to experiencing them, I never ever ever thought "hey I really need heated seats!"

Good to hear it was sorted out though!
I'm glad I'm not the only one - I had a hire car in Norway once with heated seats, which were on when I got in it. I'd never experienced them before, and I didn't know they were on - I remember driving along thinking 'what the hell is happening?'

Current car has heated seats though because it was secondhand and the first owner ticked every option. I don't use them apart from to take the edge off the cold leather on really cold morning. Mrs Knees and Little Knees have them on from October to March.

Top Bottom