My latest car related entertainment

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by JhnBssll, 10 Aug 2019.

1. Oldbloke

Oldbloke Guru

I'll do the same for the Range Rover & Jag S Type I had. Never ever again thanks.

meta lon likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

My wife has a Golf R, also 4 years old. It's also just out of warranty - if that thing broke too we'd be in trouble :laugh:

3. OP
    OP
    JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

I work for bosch and we have close ties to JLR. I met a JLR sales rep a few months ago on a training course and his advice to me was to never buy a Jaguar :ohmy::laugh:

4. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

My SIL is a qualified and experienced mechanic at an independent garage and my Polish colleague is a very experienced mechanic who does mountains of private car work from home. They both agree German cars are now trading on past glories. VW in particular seem prone to problems now and working with many many Europeans who naturally prefer German cars, I could list the problems each has had but I couldn't remember them all....but then they do end to drive biggish mileage cars. But despite it, they still like their Audis, Beemers, Mercs and VWs.
    BMWs feature poorly now for their engines, big problems with timing chains.

JhnBssll likes this.
  5. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I'd be wanting to see the engine mount, bolts and its interface with the structure of the car. If it's not been tightened up...and it's quite possible, youd probably see wear damage to threads, ovalling of the hole it went in as everything slopped around from not being tightened correctly. You d know it wasnt right.. Alternatively it may be a mount failure, the bolts may have sheared or the rubber itself may have gone. Original parts fitted or aftermarket ? I'd be looking at that too.

6. meta lon

meta lon Guru

The new LED headlight units fitted to the new ones are... Wait for it.... £1500!! As you have to buy a whole unit if it fails.
    Son in law works for volvo and has a 19 plate, warranty only i think for ownership..
    So a minor bump could well be catastrophic in insurance terms

JhnBssll and NorthernDave like this.
  7. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

I've heard it said that JLR dealers are happy to sell cars for minimal profit as they make so much on the subsequent warranty work.

Lots of everyday cars have very expensive headlights nowadays. Once they get to 5 or 6 years old a minor front end bump is going to be writing them off.

meta lon and JhnBssll like this.
  8. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Yep, dealers make the bulk of their profit on warranty work. That's why Honda dealers struggle to make decent money.

JhnBssll likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

Update today; first inspection reveals the threaded studs have sheared off from the engine block. They were hesitant to make any admissions but did say they weren't sure whether the nuts had been over or under tightened which suggests they're already assuming blame. Handy.

The engine is going to have to come out as they cant get to one of the sheared studs to extract it. I'll hopefully find out how bad the collateral damage is tomorrow.

I've raised a new case with VW UK customer care, informing them my solicitor will be involved if they dont resolve it to my satisfaction. Just a waiting game for now!

10. Domus

Domus Veteran

I would suggest “nipped up” with air wrench set at a gazillion Nm

JhnBssll and dave r like this.
  11. Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

Lots of people buy a car for that. It's just utter nonsense. Guy at work destroyed an alloy on a nothing special A Class Merc, through no fault of his own hitting a huge pothole. Through Mercedes it was about £1200 for one alloy and one tyre. The council eventually paid for it.

If I went back to owning my own car, I'd buy an old car that numerous used parts were available for, from ebay etc. I can't afford nonsense like mentioned. Even if I could, I'd rather not pay these robbing b******'s...

gbb likes this.
  12. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Who is the robber?

13. OP
    OP
    JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

Another update to my story; VW have admitted fault as there was a bolt missing from the engine mount. The side casing of the engine is broken and the cam belt underneath is damaged. They will continue to strip it down until they stop finding broken bits then rebuild it with all new parts. On top of this they are extending my warranty for a currently undisclosed length of time but I will ask for a minimum of one year or 20k miles.

Seems the bolt they forgot to replace was an expensive one :ohmy::rolleyes:

Jenkins, classic33, CarlP and 3 others like this.
  14. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Oh dear

dave r and JhnBssll like this.
  15. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

Whoops!

JhnBssll likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice