My latest car related entertainment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
My wife has a Golf R, also 4 years old. It's also just out of warranty - if that thing broke too we'd be in trouble :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've never heard that expression "My engine fell out" and I lived through the British Leyland years.

I'll do the same for the Range Rover & Jag S Type I had. Never ever again thanks.

I work for bosch and we have close ties to JLR. I met a JLR sales rep a few months ago on a training course and his advice to me was to never buy a Jaguar :ohmy::laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
It is the old cliché that German cars are more reliable, they are not.
My SIL is a qualified and experienced mechanic at an independent garage and my Polish colleague is a very experienced mechanic who does mountains of private car work from home. They both agree German cars are now trading on past glories. VW in particular seem prone to problems now and working with many many Europeans who naturally prefer German cars, I could list the problems each has had but I couldn't remember them all....but then they do end to drive biggish mileage cars. But despite it, they still like their Audis, Beemers, Mercs and VWs.
BMWs feature poorly now for their engines, big problems with timing chains.

gbb

Legendary Member
Mechanic stroke apprentice fooked up, id go see the manager, and talk about talking to VAG UK service if you dont get any joy.
Very poor stndard of workmanship, and maybe their mechanics may be why your car keeps going wrong?

As for VW reliability.. Seat and Skoda seem better than their own brand
I'd be wanting to see the engine mount, bolts and its interface with the structure of the car. If it's not been tightened up...and it's quite possible, youd probably see wear damage to threads, ovalling of the hole it went in as everything slopped around from not being tightened correctly. You d know it wasnt right.. Alternatively it may be a mount failure, the bolts may have sheared or the rubber itself may have gone. Original parts fitted or aftermarket ? I'd be looking at that too.

Levo-Lon

Guru
To be fair, I've only had a couple of Fords, and they've never given me any problems.

I'm quite looking forward to the XC90. In 140,000 miles it suffered a catastrophic breakdown when a headlamp bulb blew. Dad replaced both just to be sure. Imagine the state a Range Rooney would be in by that mileage?

The new LED headlight units fitted to the new ones are... Wait for it.... £1500!! As you have to buy a whole unit if it fails.
Son in law works for volvo and has a 19 plate, warranty only i think for ownership..
So a minor bump could well be catastrophic in insurance terms

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I work for bosch and we have close ties to JLR. I met a JLR sales rep a few months ago on a training course and his advice to me was to never buy a Jaguar :ohmy::laugh:

I've heard it said that JLR dealers are happy to sell cars for minimal profit as they make so much on the subsequent warranty work.

The new LED headlight units fitted to the new ones are... Wait for it.... £1500!! As you have to buy a whole unit if it fails.
Son in law works for volvo and has a 19 plate, warranty only i think for ownership..

Lots of everyday cars have very expensive headlights nowadays. Once they get to 5 or 6 years old a minor front end bump is going to be writing them off.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Update today; first inspection reveals the threaded studs have sheared off from the engine block. They were hesitant to make any admissions but did say they weren't sure whether the nuts had been over or under tightened which suggests they're already assuming blame. Handy.

The engine is going to have to come out as they cant get to one of the sheared studs to extract it. I'll hopefully find out how bad the collateral damage is tomorrow.

I've raised a new case with VW UK customer care, informing them my solicitor will be involved if they dont resolve it to my satisfaction. Just a waiting game for now!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

Lots of people buy a car for that. It's just utter nonsense. Guy at work destroyed an alloy on a nothing special A Class Merc, through no fault of his own hitting a huge pothole. Through Mercedes it was about £1200 for one alloy and one tyre. The council eventually paid for it.

If I went back to owning my own car, I'd buy an old car that numerous used parts were available for, from ebay etc. I can't afford nonsense like mentioned. Even if I could, I'd rather not pay these robbing b******'s...

Reactions: gbb

screenman

Legendary Member
Lots of people buy a car for that. It's just utter nonsense. Guy at work destroyed an alloy on a nothing special A Class Merc, through no fault of his own hitting a huge pothole. Through Mercedes it was about £1200 for one alloy and one tyre. The council eventually paid for it.

If I went back to owning my own car, I'd buy an old car that numerous used parts were available for, from ebay etc. I can't afford nonsense like mentioned. Even if I could, I'd rather not pay these robbing b******'s...

Who is the robber?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Another update to my story; VW have admitted fault as there was a bolt missing from the engine mount. The side casing of the engine is broken and the cam belt underneath is damaged. They will continue to strip it down until they stop finding broken bits then rebuild it with all new parts. On top of this they are extending my warranty for a currently undisclosed length of time but I will ask for a minimum of one year or 20k miles.

Seems the bolt they forgot to replace was an expensive one :ohmy::rolleyes:

Top Bottom