My mistake, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

So, Cab, let me get this right. You had two issues with the actions of this taxi driver:

1. He honked surprisingly quickly
2. He continued honking at you for much longer than you deemed necessary

Correct?

I fail to see how you can possibly be justified in complaining that a driver reacted TOO QUICKLY! I also disagree completely that prolonged honking was unjustified, when YOU DO NOT KNOW what effect your actions had on him. By saying well he didn't have to stop or swerve so I didn't hinder him in any way is completely blinkered. When it gets to the point that people have to do that in order to justify sounding a horn is a very sorry state of affairs.

As I tried to point out, probably poorly, cyclists have a right to complain about bad motoring EVEN WHEN they did not have to swerve or brake suddenly. Motorists have the same right. If you disagree with this point then you've certainly gone down in my estimation.:rolleyes:

Maybe Magnatom is right and you had to be there, but I wholeheartedly agree with Dom the troll:ohmy: the driver may have seen it very differently.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Tetedelacourse said:
So, Cab, let me get this right. You had two issues with the actions of this taxi driver:

1. He honked surprisingly quickly
2. He continued honking at you for much longer than you deemed necessary

Correct?

Partly. One is an exclamation of surprise, backed up by the statement that he must have had his hand right over the horn or something. The other is a complaint.

I also disagree completely that prolonged honking was unjustified, when YOU DO NOT KNOW what effect your actions had on him. By saying well he didn't have to stop or swerve so I didn't hinder him in any way is completely blinkered. When it gets to the point that people have to do that in order to justify sounding a horn is a very sorry state of affairs.

He didn't slow down. He didn't swerve. He didn't change the course of his vehicle at all. He continued past at pretty much the same speed and bearing, sounding his horn. If you think that sounding your horn just to vent is okay, might I suggest that you should lobby your MP to change the law to make that legal, as at present you're not meant to use your horn in that way.

As I tried to point out, probably poorly, cyclists have a right to complain about bad motoring EVEN WHEN they did not have to swerve or brake suddenly. Motorists have the same right. If you disagree with this point then you've certainly gone down in my estimation.:rolleyes:

Everyone has the right to complain about anything. No problems there. A cyclist has the right to complain when endangered or when someone does something unpleasant or somehow illegal or even just infuriating. So does a motorist; I really wouldn't have any problem that bloke complaining about me, I made an error (small one), hands up, I admiot it. Said right doesn't extend to protracted honking of the horn, its just poor behaviour.

Maybe Magnatom is right and you had to be there, but I wholeheartedly agree with Dom the troll:ohmy: the driver may have seen it very differently.

How he sees it and good roadcraft are at odds then. Your horn is a warning to alert people, not a punishment.

Tetedelacourse

I'd bet he honked his horn to alert you, not to punish you.

However, I will leave it at that. Probably already a laboured point and two intransitory positions.

I will forevermore associate your approach to cycling and fellow motorists with the term "honking".:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Tetedelacourse said:

And he had to continue alterting me as he contined past? You don't sound your horn to express that someone made a mistake and you're upset about it, your horn is to alert people, its to get their attention when they are being inattentive and as a result there may be danger.

Honking 'cos you think that someone needs alerting to your presence is fine. Same as sounding a bell. Continuing to honk afterwards... Would you keep ringing a bicycle bell once you had got past a pedestrian? Of course not, it would make you look like an ass.

Tetedelacourse

Cab;33971][QUOTE=Tetedelacourse said:

And he had to continue alterting me as he contined past? You don't sound your horn to express that someone made a mistake and you're upset about it, your horn is to alert people, its to get their attention when they are being inattentive and as a result there may be danger.

Honking 'cos you think that someone needs alerting to your presence is fine. Same as sounding a bell. Continuing to honk afterwards... Would you keep ringing a bicycle bell once you had got past a pedestrian? Of course not, it would make you look like an ass.[/QUOTE]

A bit like continuing to make the same point post after post?:rolleyes:

Stop honking:biggrin:

As I said, intransitory positions so dat be dat.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Intransitory positions I can handle; I'm trying to understand the position that sounding your horn after resolution of the incident is reasonable.

Tetedelacourse

resolution of the incident in your eyes.

Failure to understand the possibility that the driver might have interpreted it differently means you will never understand his actions.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Tetedelacourse said:
resolution of the incident in your eyes.

Failure to understand the possibility that the driver might have interpreted it differently means you will never understand his actions.

The rules on when to use a horn are very clear, you don't use one after the event. I can't see any possible way in which sounding your horn while and after passing is appropriate or legal.

Tetedelacourse

I know you can't Cab!

If you don't use a horn after an event when do you use it? Before? Nope. During? No - you were surprised as it was how quickly he honked! After? Yes. Does the law state how long is permissable in alerting an individual? I confess I know not.

peejay78

dom's got an awfully nice dolan track bike for a troll.

did you know the welsh for taxi is tacsi?

col

Legendary Member
Your not allowed to use your horn from 11pm till 730 am,unless in an emegency ,to notify someone of your presence,and excessive use is not allowed either.it supposed to be used as a warning device,not as a way of venting anger,which i think we see and hear too much from bad drivers.The taxi,if he was shocked at cabs presence could have sounded his horn to make sure cab new he was there,other than that the taxi was over the top.

Tetedelacourse

Hang on, you are assuming that the driver was using it to vent anger. My point all along has been that we don't know the driver's side of the story. It's perfectly understandable that he MIGHT have been angry. It's equally possible that he might have been attempting to draw Cab's attention to his dangerous or potentially dangerous behaviour. At no point has Cab said that he acknowledged the honk to the driver. In this case the tacsi driver may have been using it as a warning device, to ensure that Cab was aware of his dangerous behaviour. Which is permissable in your terms. What one person deems "excessive" can be different from what another deems "excessive".

Intransitory position - a position that does not move. In this case, Cab thinks the cabbie was in the wrong and that's his position. I think it's possible he used his horn in a reasonable fashion and that's mine.

col

Legendary Member
We all make mistakes,cab admitted that,the taxi saw him and sounded his horn,fair enough,but it sounds by the description that the taxi made a meal of it.

(Intransitory position)cheers

Top Bottom