My Mk2 Golf restoration thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, I know there's a few car enthusiasts on here so I thought I'd start a (very) long running thread on my Mk2 Golf restoration.

Owned her 18 years and she's been stood up the last 10 unfortunately . Work and house renovations have got in the way but finally made some room on the drive to get her sorted!.

Started as a Mk2 16v on K-Jet, slowly converted to Electronic Fuel Injection and eventually fitted a G60 Supercharger (one of only 7 16vG60's in the county I believe whene orignally finished).

Anyway, just a few pictures for now and a very long road ahead, made a start last Sunday and another 1 1/2 hours should see the engine/ subframe/ steering rack out for refurb!.

Borrowed a car lift and fitted stainless braided AN-6 fuel lines, modified fuel hanger for my spare GTO fuel pump.

On a plus note, floor and underside is all solid!.

Managed to source some "cold galvanising" black paint so see how that goes!.
20180715_152447.jpg
20180715_152458.jpg
20180715_193108.jpg
20180715_170707.jpg
20180715_200110.jpg
20180715_191050.jpg
20180302_170226.jpg

20180715_152553.jpg
20180715_134459.jpg

Attachments

• 20180715_163241.jpg
    20180715_163241.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 81

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Best of the Golf marques IMHO.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Been on this forum for 8 years or so, and this is the first time I have used the "watch thread" facility!
As a one time owner of a 1991 Golf GTi 8 valve I will be watching with interest. That was the best car I ever owned. Bought it when it was 3 years old with about 30k miles on the clock, ran it for about 6 years and sold it with 150k miles on it. It ran as good the day I sold it as it did when I bought it.

Good luck with the project :okay:.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Cheers all, my wife loves my Golf and hates my Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo so I can see what's going to happen when the Golf's back on the road..

Jody

Stubborn git
Loved my mk2 GTi. Same colour, big bumper, g60 arches but a 5dr. One of those cars I wish I hadn't sold and the kid I sold it to wrapped it round a tree within a week. Would like a 20vT conversion if I had another.

Good luck with the build. Probably going to be a long process.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Good luck with the project. Loved Golfs for years, currently on my 6th. Years ago I had a Mk1 GTi as a not getting transferred to London by work present, until some tw@t nicked it.
My own Triumph Stag restoration has stalled for a number of reasons, most the most recent being guy who was supposed to be working on the cylinder heads disappearing. :cursing:

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Good luck with the project. Loved Golfs for years, currently on my 6th. Years ago I had a Mk1 GTi as a not getting transferred to London by work present, until some tw@t nicked it.
My own Triumph Stag restoration has stalled for a number of reasons, most the most recent being guy who was supposed to be working on the cylinder heads disappearing. :cursing:

Did he disappear with your cylinder heads?.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have the skills, the space, the tools and as you know a nice workshop, only thing missing at the moment is the desire to rebuild a classic however I am confident the day will come.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Did he disappear with your cylinder heads?.
That I don't know. I discovered the other week that the landlord changed the locks of the workshop for non payment of rent and initial enquiries have failed to trace him.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
That I don't know. I discovered the other week that the landlord changed the locks of the workshop for non payment of rent and initial enquiries have failed to trace him.

Not good at all, I'd be down to see if I could rescue my heads if I were you. Hope it turns out ok!.

midlife

Guru

Had a few instances like that when I was on the Scooby forums. You still have legal title so should be able to retrieve them.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I have the skills, the space, the tools and as you know a nice workshop, only thing missing at the moment is the desire to rebuild a classic however I am confident the day will come.

I've looked at houses with a decent sized garage but nothings caught my eye enough to move from here (10 and 15 minutes walk for both schools, 15 minute ride to work).

Managed to clear most of my 4mx3m shed now so have an indoor base for rebuilding the gearbox/ engine etc.

Thinking of a gazebo over the Golf when I do the underside but last part will no doubt be a full respray in the same Atlas Grey, that will be done buy a trusted paint shop when funds are available!.

To be fair @screenman I could see you painting a tidy Mk2 Golf ;).

tyred

Legendary Member
I love the MkI and MKII Golfs. Few cars, past or present at any price were more reliable and they were simple "does what it says on the tin" cars and genuinely very good to drive.

I've recently put my MkI Caddy pickup back on the road for the summer months as it's good for carrying bikes. Bodywork is getting to a stage where restoration is required though.

Top Bottom