My Mk2 Golf restoration thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yep a great car, i had a jetta tx in 88 which was a poor mans gti but i needed a car with a big boot a 3 labourers to move about from site to site.

I had about 70000 trouble free miles and only a few mechanical issues,drive shaft and the carb cold start , set fire to the brake pads ,i did drive it like any red blooded twenty something :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Interesting thread.

Sadly I missed out on the Mk2. I had a basic Mk1 when I was a lot younger and a Mk3 16v (with some lovely BBS cross-spokes and Dunlop D40's) as a company car for a while in 93/94. A great car!

I then got a hefty job promotion that came with a big Beemer that cost an awful lot more than the Golf but wasn't nearly as much fun to drive. :wacko:

Looking forward to the progress reports.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Loving this thread! It's all very Ed from 'Wheeler Dealers' isn't it??!!"

Loved the early Wheeler Dealers, lost it's way at the end though..

Unfortunately the car pixes haven't fixed it for me though, best crack on then!.

Found a puller for £25 so we'll see how that holds up!.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I know, I was gutted. Bought a Peugeot 205 GTi with the insurance money and although it was a good car it just wasn't a Golf so it got replaced within 6 months with another Golf GTI, Now, over 20 years later, I've had another 9 Golfs, mostly GTIs but also a Mk4 R32 and my most recent Golf was a Mk6 GTD.

My mate sold his mk4 R32 last year,that was a stonking car!!

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
My dream of "just fitting a diff bolt kit" was a dream at best.

Needs all the taper roller bearings replacing, and the preloads setting again (shims under bearing cups, dry fit to check turning torques, rinse and repeat.. ).

Plus side I managed to pull the diff bearings off with my new puller!. All gears and shafts are in good order too.

Taking diff into work tomorrow to drill rivets out with the drill press.

20180726_175544.jpg
20180727_193425.jpg
20180727_194603.jpg
20180727_202950.jpg

Top Bottom