My mod-o-fied single speed e-bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

.stu

Über Member
Due to the onset of rheumatism over the last year or so, I decided to get myself an e-bike. It is really easy to ride and fun too, but the flat bars were too wide after my road bike, so I made a few changes....
IMG_20160715_181139.jpg
IMG_20160715_181117.jpg

I really enjoy riding this bike. It's single speed and has a belt drive so it's easy to maintain and keep clean, and the electric assistance let's me tackle the hills at my own pace. I can attack them and do all the work, or sit back and let the motor do the work.

The bundled lights are quite good, but the mudguards rattled too much for my liking and although they fitted the 37mm tyres that came with it, they were a bit far away from the 28s I put on, and weren't long enough so my feet got a bit wet. Some 35mm wide SKS Longboards solved all the issues tho.

It came with a kick stand too, which I initially took off, but I put it back on as the wide bars made it really difficult to lean against the wall at work, and to be honest it's so handy I have decided to leave it on permanently.

My commute is 12-13 miles through the countryside, and this bike makes it easy, even after a long day where I have been on my feet the entire time. It takes me about 40 mins on my road bike, 45 on this one if I push, and about 50-55 if I saunter along. However, although it takes me longer, I don't even break a sweat, so I can go in my work clothes and don't need a shower at either end, saving time overall. Also, I can easily ride 5 days a week, even with tired legs, which was impossible on my other bikes due to my recent health issues.

When I first got it, I have to admit I did wonder if I had made the right decision, but now it's probably my favorite bike to ride. I would definitely recommend one, although I think the £999 price tag is a tad too high, £799 would be more like it. Having said that, on my ride to work this morning I did consider whether I could/should sell my other bikes and just keep this one...

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
That's the best looking electric bike I have seen :smile:. Just out of curiosity what make is it?

Shaun

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have heard other people say that it is quite overpriced, especially as most of the components are lower end spec. People do say around £700 would be a more reasonable price for it. They do look ok though.

OP
OP
.stu

.stu

Über Member
I should add that I get 2 return journeys out of a single charge even if I let the motor do all the work, which adds up to about 50 miles.

I've just got to get some green brake cables and valve caps to complete the look ;)

OP
OP
.stu

.stu

Über Member
The frame is quite light and also quite stiff. The belt drive is a Gate's drive, which aren't exactly cheap either, but it is completely silent except when freewheeling. The brakes are bog standard cantilever ones but fully functional. For the price, I would like to see a bladed fork, preferably carbon, but that's not a huge issue.

As i said, when I first got it I was wondering if I had done the right thing, but now, less then a month later, I would recommend it without hesitation.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@.stu seen them advertised and always wondered what they were really like , keep us updated please

keithmac

Guru
Nice to see another Gtech owner on the web!.

I've had mine a month now using it to work and back (6 mile round trip).

Managed 53 miles out of first charge, what milage are you getting per battery charge?

Gates Carbon drive is very smooth.

Only thing I've done to mine is fit a speedo to keep an eye on mileage and a Suntour NCX seatpost to soak up the potholes!.
20160703_154636.jpg

Last edited:

adampritchard

Hi

Been running a Gtech for a while now and enjoy it - have modified bars, stem and bell(!), added a rear rack and will fit a Brooks saddle when I can decide which one! I wondered, did changing the tyres improve performance in any way?

Adam
IMG_0885.JPG

Top Bottom