My MTB has become a roadie/commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Cheers, I have set the forks to the hardest setting. Unfortunately they do not have lockout.

I went out yesterday and had a nice ride. Its fairly quick with those tires on and quite pleasurable to ride since it is so smooth.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't worry fella, I've been riding a fully mudguarded MTB with slicks for two years every day......not pretty machines, but a hell of a lot of fun when you seen the face of roadies (PS I am a roadie) as you blitz them.... and they are very robust when (not if) you get knocked off.......

Your tyres look pretty heafty, like what I have on now, but I'd recommend Hutchinson Top Slick 2's (about 300g) - if totally road, they are quick....I was puncture free until the last couple of weeks before they wore out.....

Just waiting for my new fixed to get built, so I'll be back with the other side... - I'd use a road bike for commuting personally, but both my road bikes have zero clearance for anything......

Crankarm

Guru
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1344&categoryId=20

If you're commuting I would fit a full rear mudguard such as SKS Commmuter guards in black 60mm wide otherwise your seat tube and front mech will get covered in road crud from the tyre. Road crud is horribel stuff. Those seat pillar mudguards look good but that is about all they do. I have a Topeak Defender, but got an SKS full mudguard instead to preserve the front mech. They are very robust, well made plus cheap. Try Merlin (above). I have a shocker at the front so kept the Topeak guard here. Still VFM IMHO and easy to fit to rear. Mine took a day to arrive and came extremely well packed. The postie gave me a weird look as the parcel looked like a giant boomerang.

A sturdy reckonable commuting beast.

I would have to add bar ends and maybe even narrow the bars to be comfy on it for those kind of commuting distances.

Something I'm desperate to do to this, my own offering on the same theme:

3077487554_5a5895a21c.jpg

I'm actually surprised how often I used this bike! I bought it second hand and I think it's been the quickest to pay for itself!

Top Bottom