My new Boardman and Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all. Just thought I'll come on here to tell you all that I picked up my new Boardman hybird pro 2014 yesterday (15.11.2013) from Halfords in Basingstoke. I have to say that the Halfords experience was really good. The guy I saw was really helpful and went through the whole bike with me to show me it all worked ok and was happy to answer any questions I had a real good customer service I thought. As for the bike I took it out today (16th) and did my 20 mile route. In one word AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! The bike is so light, smooth and quick a real delight to ride just what I was looking for. Nothing fell off or come loose and all the gears and brakes work really well crisp and smooth. The Boardman is far more superior to my Merida crossway 20MD. Sure at a lot more dosh. Just thought I'll tell ya.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Photos?

OP
OP
Activeady

Activeady

Regular
nappadang that's what I thought but it does happen usually not to me though. Roadrider48 I did quiet a lot or research before I purchased and it seems Boardman great bikes shame Halfords sell tham. Thats why I thought I'll share my good Halfords experience.Thanks for your replays!

Last edited:

nappadang

Über Member
nappadang that's what I thought but it does happen usually not to me though. Roadrider48 I did quiet a lot or research before I purchased and it seems Boardman great bikes shame Halfords sell tham. Thanks for your replays!
Fair play mate, speak as you find. I hope your good relationship with them continues.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
halfords customer service can vary a lot, even in one branch. in my local branch i've had one bike (carrera virtuoso) set up beautifully and right for me after chatting to the chap in the shop, one kids bike (apollo somthingorother) that was set up so poorly that the back brake operated if you turned right, and my sister-in-law bought a boardman that can pretty well set up (a few cables needed tightening though) and the chap in there at the time was knowledgable.

and, in fairness, when i spotted a garmin edge 200 on their site for a really good price and went into the shop to buy one, they ordered one online for me so i could get it for the web price, rather than the in-store price :thumbsup:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Nice to hear you're enjoying your new bike. And don't listen to the cycling snobs who knock Halfords. They may not be perfect, but they're the biggest cycle retailer in the country so must be doing something right to be in that place.

screenman

Legendary Member
Nice to hear you're enjoying your new bike. And don't listen to the cycling snobs who knock Halfords. They may not be perfect, but they're the biggest cycle retailer in the country so must be doing something right to be in that place.

Yep they are doing something right, which is selling motor parts for expensive prices. It is not snobbery at all, it is just that Halfords do suffer with poor service in a lot of places, try the 3 around this way and you would get my point.

I have witnessed with my own eye's the 27.2 being hammered into something about 26.8, I have seen the Halfords guy trying to fit a Corsa headlight bulb and holding it in his bare fingers. Along with many other things they do wrong, they do however sell a good quality single pack laquer.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
To OP : Sounds like they got the front forks around the right way this time then ........................

You can actually buy a Boardman bike boxed, ie unmolested by Halfords staff, and build it your self. I wouldn't allow a Halfords greater spotted grease monkey anywhere near a bike I was going to ride.

mustang1

Guru
About 30 years I bought (actually my parents did) me 3 bikes from Halfords over a period of about 5 years. All three times the experience was good. Back in those days Halfords had very large bike departments in their stores, even bigger than today.
(The bikes were a couple of Raleighs and one road toured which I cant recall the name of).

U

User33236

I can a reasonable choice of Halfords shop near me. About 18 months ago my Mrs bought a Boardman hybrid for the one third further from our home after having visited the two closer ones and been disappointed in their knowledge on the products they were selling. The staff in the third store were all keen cyclists themselves and gave her very good, impartial, advice and the bike was very well set up at the time of pickup.

In all cases the staff were welcoming and friendly however I know which one I'll be back to should I ever need to.

Top Bottom