My New Commuter: Specialized Diverge 2016 or Genesis Croix de Fer 10 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evening all, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

In short, I am looking to get a new bike via the cycle to work scheme. My commute takes me from main roads, to dirt tracks and bridleways back to country lanes. As such my hybrid is no fun at all on the roads, (I'll probably be selling it), but my road bike would be destroyed on the trails. I thought an adventure bike or cyclocross bike would therefore be a good choice.

I have been researching my options and I am almost certain that the Genesis Croix de Fer 10 is the right choice. The steel frame seems great, the reviews are very gushing and it would also be great if I fancied touring in the Spring.

However, this evening I read a review of the Specialized Diverge 2016 and it seems to be a contender in terms of how well it's been reviewed. However, bearing in mind the price of the Diverge, I would expect more than Claris groupset.

Anyway, if anyone has any opinions on these two please feel free to share. My heart is telling me that the Croix de Fer is the one for me. I would like to go and try it in person, and I know that will be your advice and I will strive to, but I'm struggling to find one in stock locally to me to actually view...

ST

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Everything you read about the CDF is good, so why pay more?

Im sure it will do the job and you will love it,

Both nice bikes, I have 2015 Diverge, no complaints I think it's excellent, nice ride, compact gears, no problems at all with Claris groupset, I haven't even had to adjust them yet since buying it last June; good brakes, easy to adjust and work better once they've bedded in a bit, matt black stealth colour paint job - very cool!- wheels are still excellent, not so much as a loose spoke, squeak or rattle from anywhere... Probably done about six hundred miles on it, I'm guessing... zero problems or issues...

One thing, though, if you're likely to want to put mudguards on it I think you more or less have to use Specialized own plug and play something-something version designed for their bikes, a bit expensive and a bit of a faff to install according to some reviews; I don't know, I never bothered, I like the stripped-down look.

It's a lovely bike I tells ya!

It'll all come down to your personal views/needs/likes/dislikes/whatever. I don't think you'll go far wrong with either of them. Best of luck in your search.

Boon 51

Veteran
I have just finished a project bike and that was a Diverge claris and I up graded it to 105 group set all for under a grand. cracking bike?
Can't say for the other bike not ever having one..

rojobe

I was looking to replace my Surly Cross-check commuter with a disc braked bike. A Surly Cross-check disc was one option and the CDF another. I'd have gone for the CDF but in the end opted to spend more on a titanium disc frame. The CDF looks like a good commuter choice.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was looking to replace my Surly Cross-check commuter with a disc braked bike. A Surly Cross-check disc was one option and the CDF another. I'd have gone for the CDF but in the end opted to spend more on a titanium disc frame. The CDF looks like a good commuter choice.
What Ti did you buy out of interest? :smile:

Two guys in my CTC group have CDF's and love them.

Boon 51

Veteran
Here's the Diverge that I've just done up..you might like or not?

Diverge 105...JPG

Top Bottom