My new Giant Escape M0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My new Giant Escape (as of Sat):

So far I've found that I definately need to change the saddle as part of me doesn't like this one:sad:. And that the gears are very different to my Dawes Saratoga - on which I rarely used the third ring, whereas on this one I'm using it quite a bit. Don't know if I'm going any faster as my new computer hasn't arrived yet.

Other than the saddle problem I'm enjoying the bike :sad: ... though I think I'm going to have to name the two bikes to avoid confusion over which bike I'm going to use on a particular day.

PS. How do I get the photo to be a big image in the text?

simonali

Guru
Got it at last then?!

When you say the 3rd ring, is that the big one or the small one i.e. is the gearing too high or too low?

I think for the bigger pic you have to use an external server, such as this one:

http://tinypic.com/

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Big ring for going fast - does that mean the gearing is almost too low? I felt as if I was going as fast as previously - just waiting on the computer arriving from USA. I also noticed the lack of suspension on the front forks and the saddle, but I assume that it may be a case of getting used to that.

2lviicw.jpg

Thanks for the link on how to do it.

My Giant Terrago sometimes feels like its run out of gears (when im on form) but your Escape looks to have higher gears than my MTB, the Rigid front fork will definately help on the road and standard Giant saddles are'nt the comfiest ... Nice bike though

If you click on the image in your first post it will enlarge

Simon

skrx

Summerdays -- my Giant Escape M0 was stolen (some time ago... -- the insurance company has finally given me the money). I liked it, so I think I'll replace it with another.

Do you remember what mudguards and rack you bought for yours? I was told in a couple of bike shops that there weren't many that would fit a bike with disc brakes, and settled for mountain-bike style mudguards, but they weren't very good on a wet road.

yashicamat

I found the Giant stock saddles to be pretty appalling on the Giants I've ridden. As for the lack of suspension; you get used to it very quickly. I find my steel framed SS with 23mm tyres at 110psi reasonably comfortable on most road surfaces and there's a heck of a lot less cushioning there than in those fairly chunky tyres on your bike.:eek:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the rack is something like a nimrod? (I'd have to go out to look in the shed), and the mudguards are SKS chromoplastic ones. I got my LBS to fit at the same time as I bought the bike, and so they knew how to make it fit. I can take a photo of it later if you want.

My photo of my bike looks so lovely and new and shiny in comparison to now:sad:

skrx said:
Do you remember what mudguards and rack you bought for yours? I was told in a couple of bike shops that there weren't many that would fit a bike with disc brakes, and settled for mountain-bike style mudguards, but they weren't very good on a wet road.

When i started using my Giant Terrago for road rides i used a Topeak Rack and bag i'l check what mudguards i have on it as i cant remember without looking ... The terrago has been stripped of the rack and guards now as Jake uses the bike

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Simon

I use the same topeak rak and sks mudguards on my Escape M0.
Rack is standard, not the disc specific one, with it 'adjusted' a bit to fit around the chainstays. Does give a good close fit though

Top Bottom