My new Hewitt Chevot SE Tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Shiny. shiny (that won't last long...)

hewittcheviotse.jpg

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Oooh, that's pretty!:tongue:

oh very nice, now if that had been a thorn there would have been at least 100 posts by now pointing out that there are too many spacers :tongue:;)

So where you going to go to first then, a bike like that needs to go touring...

Windy

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
WindyRob said:
So where you going to go to first then, a bike like that needs to go touring...

Got a few short weekend trips planned for April, but first major outing will be a camping tour of Islay and Jura in May...

yello

Very nice indeed. A Schmidt hub? San Marco Rolls saddle?

If you don't mind me saying, and you may have already noticed, I think the Cyo could do with mounting a bit higher, you should be able to slacken off a couple of bolts and swing it around.

I'm deeply envious!

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
yello said:
Very nice indeed. A Schmidt hub? San Marco Rolls saddle?

Yup, on both counts. Am tempted to try out a Brooks B17 or Champion Flyer, but will see how I get on with the Rolls first. Lights are a B & M Cyo Senso Plus at the Front and a B & M DToplight XS Plus on the back, which I will supplement with a Cateye blinky, though I wanted to be as self-sufficient with lighting as possible.

If you don't mind me saying, and you may have already noticed, I think the Cyo could do with mounting a bit higher, you should be able to slacken off a couple of bolts and swing it around.
Its a very tight fit to get it under the brake cantilever, there isn't much scope for moving it higher, though I have since pointed it up a little bit, which seems to have improved things a bit. I guess the only other option would be to get a different bracket - anyone know somewhere which sells these things?

The rack is a Tubus Cosmo and have just received some new Vaude Aqua panniers (in black and just on the back and a bar bag for now - will only get front panniers if I find I really need them) so am now pretty setup to start touring...

I wasn't entirely sure about the rims and tyres (Sputnik Rigide rims and 35mm Schwalbe Marathon XR tyres), as thought they might slow the bike down a bit, but it seems to roll along at a fair zip and they look bomb-proof! :wacko:

yello

oxford_guy said:
Its a very tight fit to get it under the brake cantilever, there isn't much scope for moving it higher, though I have since pointed it up a little bit, which seems to have improved things a bit. I guess the only other option would be to get a different bracket - anyone know somewhere which sells these things?

Will the bracket mount upside down? That'd give you a few extra cm by the looks of it. Or even bend a little? Failing that, SJS Cycles may be able to help.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
yello said:
Will the bracket mount upside down? That'd give you a few extra cm by the looks of it. Or even bend a little? Failing that, SJS Cycles may be able to help.

The other issue is I've got to make sure there is still room for the bar bag (a Vaude Aqua), without it hitting the light - currently is okay, but there isn't massive amounts of space

JonoB

Über Member
You have just caused me to check out the Hewitt website. Wish I hadn't now because a can see a visit across the border looming. Did you spend the extra to be measured on his "special machine thingy"?

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
JonoB said:
You have just caused me to check out the Hewitt website. Wish I hadn't now because a can see a visit across the border looming. Did you spend the extra to be measured on his "special machine thingy"?

The measuring is free if you buy a bike...

P.H

Über Member
Good looking bike OG and I think you've made some good choices, though I would say that having made many of the same ones on my Hewitt. You’ll be pleasantly surprised how long it stays shiny for, after 5 years mine still looks almost new.
You might consider swapping those brake blocks for something more rim friendly like Koolstop Salmon or BBB triple compound. If you need to change the light fitting, the brake straddle can easily be moved higher.
Hope you’re enjoying it in the sunshine.

Top Bottom