My new Kenesis R1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
IMG_2011.jpg

Managed to source a new Kenesis R1 at a discount price of £1275 and am very pleased with its performance and its single drivetrain...no sound its like a stealth bomber :smile:

Yep, liking that. Like the colour too. :okay: Great picture too against the red doors

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
yes the single drivetrain although not common is available. I do like the understated colour there were some really good reivews of the bike and is superb to ride. I also own a KInesis racelight 2 but wanted some disc brakes. The bike is both fast and comfy with 700 x 30c tyres. The only thing I did not like was the saddle which of course is personal I will replace with a selle smp extra or a specialized power ( which I have on my specialized roubaix bike)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
yes the single drivetrain although not common is available. I do like the understated colour there were some really good reivews of the bike and is superb to ride. I also own a KInesis racelight 2 but wanted some disc brakes. The bike is both fast and comfy with 700 x 30c tyres. The only thing I did not like was the saddle which of course is personal I will replace with a selle smp extra or a specialized power ( which I have on my specialized roubaix bike)

Good for you, but one thing that puzzles me about bikes is why discs front and back? I've never owned a car with rear discs and quite a few of the motorcycles I've owned in the past have had drums on the back. In view of the problems in the pro peloton with rear wheel changes (Where 90% plus of all punctures occur) surely it would be better to have a front disc / rear rim brake setup? All the stopping power is at the front end, the back brake is just a drag brake without much impact on the speed of the bike and the issues with wheel replacement would virtually disappear.

Good for you, but one thing that puzzles me about bikes is why discs front and back? I've never owned a car with rear discs and quite a few of the motorcycles I've owned in the past have had drums on the back. In view of the problems in the pro peloton with rear wheel changes (Where 90% plus of all punctures occur) surely it would be better to have a front disc / rear rim brake setup? All the stopping power is at the front end, the back brake is just a drag brake without much impact on the speed of the bike and the issues with wheel replacement would virtually disappear.
I would guess to avoid a mis match of levers for one thing, also I think a caliper at the rear and a disc at the front would look ca*k.

Plus a big advantage of disc brakes is wider rims so it would be a bit wa*k with a wide front and skinny rear wheel.

Imagine trying to upgrade your wheels with one rim brake and one disc.

Last edited:
I guess he doesn’t ride it in the pro peloton and like cars and bikes things move on. I have never owned a car with drum brakes nor a motorcycle either. In fact it’s common that bikers don’t really use the back brake. Maybe in the wet to balance things up or trail braking if on track days. It’s just evolution

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I would guess to avoid a mis match of levers for one thing, also I think a caliper at the rear and a disc at the front would look ca*k.

Plus a big advantage of disc brakes is wider rims so it would be a bit wa*k with a wide front and skinny rear wheel.

Imagine trying to upgrade your wheels with one rim brake and one disc.
There need be no mismatch of levers, both could be made to look exactly the same as could the rims. It is all about practicalities and whatever people may want on leisure bikes the pro teams want what works the best and I am surprised not one of them has adopted such a simple solution to what is a real problem for them.

There need be no mismatch of levers, both could be made to look exactly the same as could the rims. It is all about practicalities and whatever people may want on leisure bikes the pro teams want what works the best and I am surprised not one of them has adopted such a simple solution to what is a real problem for them.
Who knows?

D

Deleted member 26715

Good for you, but one thing that puzzles me about bikes is why discs front and back? I've never owned a car with rear discs and quite a few of the motorcycles I've owned in the past have had drums on the back.
I know we're OT but I can't think of a car or motorcycle I've had in the last 20 years that has had drums on the back. However one of the reasons for drums on the backs of cars is the handbrake, shoes gripping the internals of a drum are far more efficient than pads on discs, which when they cool contract, potentially releasing the handbrake, which is why most tend to have disc over drum on the rear.

D

Deleted member 1258

I know we're OT but I can't think of a car or motorcycle I've had in the last 20 years that has had drums on the back. However one of the reasons for drums on the backs of cars is the handbrake, shoes gripping the internals of a drum are far more efficient than pads on discs, which when they cool contract, potentially releasing the handbrake, which is why most tend to have disc over drum on the rear.
My Suzuki Swift has drums on the back.

Top Bottom