My new Kenesis R1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Good for you, but one thing that puzzles me about bikes is why discs front and back? I've never owned a car with rear discs and quite a few of the motorcycles I've owned in the past have had drums on the back. In view of the problems in the pro peloton with rear wheel changes (Where 90% plus of all punctures occur) surely it would be better to have a front disc / rear rim brake setup? All the stopping power is at the front end, the back brake is just a drag brake without much impact on the speed of the bike and the issues with wheel replacement would virtually disappear.
Thorn once sold bikes with front v-brake and rear disc! When I asked why the thinking was that a front disc requires a very strong fork to cope with the braking stresses, so a rim brake allows a lighter fork. The rear disc allowed good all weather braking.

Cycling_Samurai

View attachment 577520
Managed to source a new Kenesis R1 at a discount price of £1275 and am very pleased with its performance and its single drivetrain...no sound its like a stealth bomber :smile:
That's a nice looking bike. How big is the crank? My wife's Trek has a single crank 48T 11spd. Similar color to yours. My CAAD12 is traditional dual mid compact. Darker metallic gray.

Good for you, but one thing that puzzles me about bikes is why discs front and back? I've never owned a car with rear discs and quite a few of the motorcycles I've owned in the past have had drums on the back. In view of the problems in the pro peloton with rear wheel changes (Where 90% plus of all punctures occur) surely it would be better to have a front disc / rear rim brake setup? All the stopping power is at the front end, the back brake is just a drag brake without much impact on the speed of the bike and the issues with wheel replacement would virtually disappear.
I was wanting to convert my front to a disk but honestly I don't need it. My motorcycles and SUV all have disc front and rear. Are your vehicles pre 2008?

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I was wanting to convert my front to a disk but honestly I don't need it. My motorcycles and SUV all have disc front and rear. Are your vehicles pre 2008?
They are. But my point was that for decades front discs and rear drums were standard on most vehicles and worked perfectly well. I understand why rear discs have become standard on cars and motorcycles, cheaper to stick to one system all round and drums were horrible things to service and maintain, but other wise they did the job perfectly and caused no problems,

Rear discs on race bicycles are a different matter, apart from having no advantage over rim brakes on the rear wheel they cause all sorts of problems when a rider has a puncture. Unless someone can come up with a design which allows the disc to stay in situ between the dropouts while a wheel is replaced it would be better to use discs on the front only, where the better performance does matter and punctures are rare.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
They are. But my point was that for decades front discs and rear drums were standard on most vehicles and worked perfectly well. I understand why rear discs have become standard on cars and motorcycles, cheaper to stick to one system all round and drums were horrible things to service and maintain, but other wise they did the job perfectly and caused no problems,

Rear discs on race bicycles are a different matter, apart from having no advantage over rim brakes on the rear wheel they cause all sorts of problems when a rider has a puncture. Unless someone can come up with a design which allows the disc to stay in situ between the dropouts while a wheel is replaced it would be better to use discs on the front only, where the better performance does matter and punctures are rare.
Could you explain this bit please as it's something I've never heard before. I've ridden rim brakes in years gone by and still have two rim braked bikes. My newer bikes run discs to which I feel, for me, there are many advantages.

I've changed rear wheel tubes on the road for both and never experienced a problem with the disc. I guess one has to be a little more accurate with a disc brake but it's no big deal. Possibly at a very high level a few seconds is crucial.

Cycling_Samurai

Disc brakes are better to drum brakes. But brake pads put debris on the road contributing to the road dirt problem.

I agree with you that rear disc brakes aren't really needed. Disc brakes look cool and are better. Maybe on my next bike one day. Or if I by chance change my fork and rim.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Could you explain this bit please as it's something I've never heard before. I've ridden rim brakes in years gone by and still have two rim braked bikes. My newer bikes run discs to which I feel, for me, there are many advantages.

I've changed rear wheel tubes on the road for both and never experienced a problem with the disc. I guess one has to be a little more accurate with a disc brake but it's no big deal. Possibly at a very high level a few seconds is crucial.
Changing a disc braked rear wheel is no trouble for anyone. But when you want a wheel changed quickly enough to get back into a bunch moving at 35mph the extra time taken is crucial.

Top Bottom