My new machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grhm

Veteran
downfader said:
Legally in england and wales (not sure about scotland) you need front and back yellow pedal reflectors, plus front white and rear red iirc. Its in the highway code anyway and tells you which part of the RTact it is... They certainly help imo.

Did the bike not come fitted with reflectors? My local shop said they're obliged to fit them to all but custom and dedicated non-road bikes. Quite suprised tbh.

Legally you only need the pedal reflectors and a red rear reflector. (see Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations). And it appears you only need those if you use the bike between sunset and sunrise.

The Pedal Cycles (Safety) Regulations mean shops have to sell bikes with a front reflector and wheel reflectors (probably with some exceptions as you mention above).

As an aside, is there any dual-sided SPD pedals that have legal reflectors? I know you can get single sided ones (on can get adapters that add a platform with reflectors to a dual sided pedal) - but I've never found a dual sided SPD that can be used as a commuter legally.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

John the Monkey said:
Looks like a v. nice bike Magnatom - you'll find you get used to the handling, and will start to call it "responsive". other bikes, by comparison, will be referred to as "sluggish" rather than "stable" ;)

Aye, I'm sure you are right. I weighed my hybrid at work the other day. it comes in at 15kg! I'll be interested to find out the weight of Kinesis!

I'm just frustrated at the moment, not being able to get out on it. However, my light bracket is on it's way now, and the weather is going to improve drastically.... :ohmy:

Now I just need to come up with a name for the bike. I think my current bike is the TANK! :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
John the Monkey said:
I think the new interrupter levers are better than the old "suicide" levers Fossy.

God yes, suicide levers are rubbish, I am talking about the interrupters. When I rebuild my tourer, I'll probably put the straight bars back on (I found drops a little too low, in the past), but if I went back to drops (like it had originally), I'd want additional bar top levers on there.

Missed this...;)

Nice bike magnatom - it's official - you're a roadie!:becool:
Now you have to change the camera position on your helmet.
Actually, another camera and helmet - in gunmetal colourway etc - might be a nice proposition. Put it to mrs m whilst she is stirring your porridge and dropping heart-shaped pieces of chocolate into the mix.
Breakfast might be served in original fashion!:laugh:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Funnily enough my helmet is over 3 years old now. It's official. I have to replace it! :biggrin:

I could always just paint the camera.

Top Bottom