My new machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cullin said:
Hi Magnatom.
I wonder if the item in the link below would allow you to open the fitting with ease.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Minoura_Space_Grip_SG2_Handlebar_Extension/5300001170/

Aye, I've seen these before, but I've heard some people complain about them rattling etc. Anyway There is a huge difference in weight between my old and new bike. I'm trying not to close that gap! :smile:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Something you can have fitted (that are on my kona as standard) at a later stage are an extra set of brakes. So if you're riding upright and need to brake all of a sudden you dont need to dip down.

Aksium wheels are great. My fave budget wheels. What I will say is that the spoke tension will slacken after few hundred miles, the wheel will stay true but its an idea to have them retightened.

BTW is it fitted with reflectors?

V Nice bike BTW! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

downfader said:
Something you can have fitted (that are on my kona as standard) at a later stage are an extra set of brakes. So if you're riding upright and need to brake all of a sudden you dont need to dip down.

Aksium wheels are great. My fave budget wheels. What I will say is that the spoke tension will slacken after few hundred miles, the wheel will stay true but its an idea to have them retightened.

BTW is it fitted with reflectors?

V Nice bike BTW! :laugh:

I have wondered about braking, and I can understand why some want the extra brakes. Can you really brake as effectively using only drop brakes? I suppose it just takes getting used to.

No reflectors, but it'll have plenty of lights when required (once I've got the brackets sorted!)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
magnatom said:
I have wondered about braking, and I can understand why some want the extra brakes. Can you really brake as effectively using only drop brakes? I suppose it just takes getting used to.

No reflectors, but it'll have plenty of lights when required (once I've got the brackets sorted!)

You can brake effectively, I'd just ride up and down a quiet road and get used to it, or a nice scenic cyclelane somewhere (I go to a park when I sometimes want to try something out).

Its also worth remembering, unlike flatbars drops may need tweaking and raising a little. If you have a shop that can tweak them up for your height and let you try it out as they do so thats a real help.

Legally in england and wales (not sure about scotland) you need front and back yellow pedal reflectors, plus front white and rear red iirc. Its in the highway code anyway and tells you which part of the RTact it is... They certainly help imo.

Did the bike not come fitted with reflectors? My local shop said they're obliged to fit them to all but custom and dedicated non-road bikes. Quite suprised tbh.

gavintc

Guru
The additional brake levers do take up some of the handlebar area. This can be an issue if you want to fit lights. Personally, I am quite content using the STIs in town, but my wife quite likes the additional little levers that sit in the middle part of the bar.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You won't need additional levers - you'll find you ride on the hoods anyway, unless climbing.... you can brake just as well from the hoods as the drops...

wafflycat

magnatom said:
Aye, I've seen these before, but I've heard some people complain about them rattling etc. Anyway There is a huge difference in weight between my old and new bike. I'm trying not to close that gap! :headshake:

The Minoura thing is what I use on my tourer and 'bent to mount lights. I've never had any problems with them.

Edit: Forgot to add... MrWC has had a RacelightT frameset as the basis of his tourer for years and it's a lovely little bike.

Keith Oates

Janner
Fossy has got it right, you can operate the brakes perfectly well from the hoods as well as the drops. IMO you don't need the extra levers and they are only one more thing to çlutter up the space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
fossyant said:
You won't need additional levers - you'll find you ride on the hoods anyway, unless climbing.... you can brake just as well from the hoods as the drops...

Idiot alert! Hoods? Do you mean the horn things? ;):ohmy: I cant reach the brakes from there on me Kona ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Keith Oates said:
Fossy has got it right, you can operate the brakes perfectly well from the hoods as well as the drops. IMO you don't need the extra levers and they are only one more thing to çlutter up the space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe on drops on a road bike, but those extra brakes are good on a tourer with drops, when you maybe want to be more upright some of the time...

Nice bike, anyway, Magnatom, enjoy it!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There was a reason those extender levers were called something like 'death levers' or what ever - they are totally crap. If you have your bike set up properly, and handle bars aren't at some stupid angle, then you can brake from the hoods (i.e. on top of the horns, sticky out things on the bars, or brake levers, just as well as from the 'drops'.

When out on my road bike, including when commuting, I'll normally be riding on the tops, or hoods...no need for 'extenders' - they don't work well anyway !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think the new interrupter levers are better than the old "suicide" levers Fossy. They were popular for a while on cross bikes, as I recall. (Or the cross bikes being sold as "do it all" bikes, anyway). The main risk (imo) with riding from the tops is that the control is so much poorer than from hoods or drops.

Looks like a v. nice bike Magnatom - you'll find you get used to the handling, and will start to call it "responsive". other bikes, by comparison, will be referred to as "sluggish" rather than "stable" ;)

Top Bottom