My new partner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

:hello: Someone called?

Pat refers to my post in this thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycling-home.103381/#post-1875504 ;)

Saddle height is a bit of a bee in my bonnet as I see so many inexperienced cyclists out with it set really low so they can put both feet flat on the ground. It's okay for a really new rider who doesn't have much confidence but is a hinderance for those wanting to progress as the leg muscles will burn.

For the record, my usual suggestion for getting the saddle height about right is to set it so your leg is nearly straight at the bottom of the stroke with your heel on the pedal. Your knee will then have just about the right amount of bend in it when pedalling normally.

This will be higher that you've been used to and the trick there is as I suggested to Pat in the above thread: transfer your weight to the pedals and just step down as you come to a halt. Dead easy....honest.:angel:

I like the bike by the way. I hope you'll have a lot of fun times together.:thumbsup:

Thanks - just checked,that's exactly how my saddle is set.Dropped the saddle just a tiny tiny bit earlier as it was just a bit to high.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks - just checked,that's exactly how my saddle is set.Dropped the saddle just a tiny tiny bit earlier as it was just a bit to high.
Remember: elegantly slide off, athletically jump on.
Did I ever tell of when I was still practicing this, after getting the saddle height advice?
Well, having set the saddle right, of course I couldn't reach the ground anymore, while sat on it, not even on tiptoe.
So, there I was approaching traffic lights, they went on amber, I stopped the bike just that millisecond to early, before I did the sliding down.
My wee legs spun aimlessly in the void, I fell sideways with the bike :laugh:

OP
OP
grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Did I ever tell of when I was still practicing this, after getting the saddle height advice?
Well, having set the saddle right, of course I couldn't reach the ground anymore, while sat on it, not even on tiptoe.
So, there I was approaching traffic lights, they went on amber, I stopped the bike just that millisecond to early, before I did the sliding down.

It's the elegantly part I'm having trouble with ;)

Mrs M

Guru
I'm still practising on my new bike :eek:
I always have my saddle that high too. Have perfected it on the road bike but not the other one, (yet) :wacko:

Top Bottom