My 'new' pub bike- Elswick Hopper Safeway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
In likelihood more of a riding to the shops for cat food bike.

Elswick Hopper Safeway- late 70s I guess- needs tubes and tyres, saddle and- eventually- replacement cables (outers not in best condition although gears seem OK and brakes work perfectly well). Not too rusty- not that I'm going to be restoring it- I expect to be using it later today. Got to straighten out that front 'guard too. The few bolts I've undone so far have not been stuck.

Going to need a big wicker basket and some lighting- maybe a cheap bottle dynamo.

P1030707_zpsz61rugws.jpg

P1030708_zps1ulfxqkk.jpg

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Total outlay so far- two tubes, tyres aren't too bad, front one is the worst- some cracking of the sidewalls. Will sort these out when I find some bargain tyres.

Had a good going over today- mechanically there is little wear, as with a lot of bikes it probably hasn't seen much use. AW hub seems fine, once adjusted changes nicely. Most of the 'problems' are cosmetic and related to storage, the rims are rusty inside (not so much outside) but just in one place suggesting it hasn't moved in a long time. The chrome on the bars and other parts is a bit pitted and flaking off, the saddle is held together with tape and is waterlogged.

Rims are a bit pitted, not too bad on the braking surfaces. Wheels are true.

The hubs and chain set are good, gave 'em a bit of furniture polish and a wipe and they are nice and shiny underneath.

Just ridden it around the block- it's ready to go. Pub duties to commence tonight after the tour highlights.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My kind of bike, favorite colour too :wub:
Will the guys not tease you showing up in the pub on a lady's bike?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In likelihood more of a riding to the shops for cat food bike.

Elswick Hopper Safeway- late 70s I guess- needs tubes and tyres, saddle and- eventually- replacement cables (outers not in best condition although gears seem OK and brakes work perfectly well). Not too rusty- not that I'm going to be restoring it- I expect to be using it later today. Got to straighten out that front 'guard too. The few bolts I've undone so far have not been stuck.

Going to need a big wicker basket and some lighting- maybe a cheap bottle dynamo.

P1030707_zpsz61rugws.jpg

P1030708_zps1ulfxqkk.jpg

T^he other day i was thinking about a "Show us your step-through/dutch/ladies bike" thread... but since i ain't got one, it felt a bit futile... but that is what i call a 'proper' bike.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Total outlay so far- two tubes, tyres aren't too bad, front one is the worst- some cracking of the sidewalls. Will sort these out when I find some bargain tyres.

Had a good going over today- mechanically there is little wear, as with a lot of bikes it probably hasn't seen much use. AW hub seems fine, once adjusted changes nicely. Most of the 'problems' are cosmetic and related to storage, the rims are rusty inside (not so much outside) but just in one place suggesting it hasn't moved in a long time. The chrome on the bars and other parts is a bit pitted and flaking off, the saddle is held together with tape and is waterlogged.

Rims are a bit pitted, not too bad on the braking surfaces. Wheels are true.

The hubs and chain set are good, gave 'em a bit of furniture polish and a wipe and they are nice and shiny underneath.

Just ridden it around the block- it's ready to go. Pub duties to commence tonight after the tour highlights.

A nice looking bike, i love the colour! There's something about taking a bike down the pub it gets folk interested in bikes when they'd normally ignore them.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've been doing plenty of shopping with it but not enough riding to the pub. I like to ride it with my heels on the pedals- it feels right. I sit bolt upright and cruise around feeling like I own the road, if I see someone riding a fatbike I put on a slight sneer. This weekend I experimentally attacked some rust on the chrome with some scrunched-up foil- very worrying! don't want to end up doing any restoration.

P1030718_zpsnmcxdguh.jpg

Top Bottom