My New Specialized Allez Comp.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Nice looking bike, as are the tiles! :smile:
Not got the Giant TCR no more?

No I sold it earlier in the year..I think I got the Giant TCR too early, I was not fit and not up to speed with what I wanted or needed out of a bike but now with better fitness and a better learning bike.. ( Hybrid) I've now got my weight back and ready for a road bike again..all a big learning curve for me.

PS You've got a good memory.. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Very nice.. except the bar tape... change to black for the stealthy look.

I know the bar tape is a crap colour and it will get changed as soon as I can, along with the very cheap seatpost.. :smile:

The 11-28 was OE but as I live on a mountain and the norm hill is a Cat 4 or Cat 3 .. I needed a bit of help. It has the 50-34 compact as you said but I did put a longer chain on which is the best thing to do, I only have tyre noise is runs so smooth.
According to bike shop its an endurance based bike which suits me just great..
I like the Fisik range too, I have a Gobi on my Specialized Crosstrail :thumbsup: and the Arizone on this one.

Getting the weight was a bit hard has no one had any idea. ( I am in Spain I must add) the best they come up with was 8.5 kg so I had to take there word on it? sounds about right I think.

PS I did change the tyres on it this morning to some Gatorskins and its a lot better ride.
Cheers
Right I will look at these bikes for my summer bike Wife dosn't know I'm comtemplating another bike yet (hell will break loose when she finds out!) I' looking at the Planet X range too though there are so many brands out there that all look good I'd like to get the bike weight down a bit more but being a 6' 2" bloke means iv'e to get the biger framed bike any way which adds more weight whatever I go for! Lots of research still needed I fear.

nicholas

Über Member
966711_175368782669863_1108703851_o.jpg
I got this in a 56 and I am same height and probably heavier 18 stone

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Right I will look at these bikes for my summer bike Wife dosn't know I'm comtemplating another bike yet (hell will break loose when she finds out!) I' looking at the Planet X range too though there are so many brands out there that all look good I'd like to get the bike weight down a bit more but being a 6' 2" bloke means iv'e to get the biger framed bike any way which adds more weight whatever I go for! Lots of research still needed I fear.

OK but I'm not sure if you can get my model over in the UK. They do two top end Allez.

1/ Specialized Allez Race
2/ Specialized Allez Comp ( Endurance bike)
I have the later but a good search round might locate one over in the UK, but you do have the Allez Race version which they do at evanscycles and is listed..
If you have the time go and check the Race version out its a great bike, I've only got the Comp version as its an Endurance based bike so a slightly softer set up.

Cheers

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I prefer the look of the Specialized Secteur as that is a triple. THe lowest gear on the comp is too high for me

Getting the right gearing is important as I've found out in the past.. :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Getting the right gearing is important as I've found out in the past.. :smile:
I run an 11-28 with a compact on the boardman but i do not really use the small ring unless its really silly incline and at a push run a 50 with the second largest ( or is it smallest ?) gear which i know is a bit naughty but saves having to drop into the lsmall ring and i can shift gears whilst pedaling standing up so it suits my climbing style which i would guess is Chris Horner "stand up for everything ".
I might change to a 11 -25 with a 50/36 at some point and try to be a good little bike rider and not cross chain.

mustang1

Legendary Member
The 11-28 was OE but as I live on a mountain and the norm hill is a Cat 4 or Cat 3 .. I needed a bit of help. It has the 50-34 compact as you said but I did put a longer chain on which is the best thing to do, I only have tyre noise is runs so smooth.
According to bike shop its an endurance based bike which suits me just great..
I like the Fisik range too, I have a Gobi on my Specialized Crosstrail :thumbsup: and the Arizone on this one.

Getting the weight was a bit hard has no one had any idea. ( I am in Spain I must add) the best they come up with was 8.5 kg so I had to take there word on it? sounds about right I think.

PS I did change the tyres on it this morning to some Gatorskins and its a lot better ride.
Cheers

This is the best noise! Just a smooth ultra-quiet bike and the almost-silent hum of tires. Riding around Malaga must be great! Congrats on the bike!!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I run an 11-28 with a compact on the boardman but i do not really use the small ring unless its really silly incline and at a push run a 50 with the second largest ( or is it smallest ?) gear which i know is a bit naughty but saves having to drop into the lsmall ring and i can shift gears whilst pedaling standing up so it suits my climbing style which i would guess is Chris Horner "stand up for everything ".
I might change to a 11 -25 with a 50/36 at some point and try to be a good little bike rider and not cross chain.

Thats a funny thing as I dont use the 34 front not unlees I have to either, I have read that you shouldn't cross train but to be honest I have a Bad Boy 2, Specialized Crosstrail an now my new road bike and I have always cross trained with no ill effects but I dont abuse the bike as I'm 62 and only keep to a steady 15mph average and I only weigh 10st 7lbs which aint a lot.. :smile:

PS I find standing on the pedals on a hill hard on the road bike, as its got different gearing to the other bikes I've yet to get the gears right.. so more pratice there.. :bicycle:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
This is the best noise! Just a smooth ultra-quiet bike and the almost-silent hum of tires. Riding around Malaga must be great! Congrats on the bike!!

I've not had the bike long as you know but I can stop riding it and I feel perhaps the Bad Boy 2 is not going to be used much anymore.. not helped that the Allez Comp is a peach of a bike..

Cheers :thumbsup:

Top Bottom