My Old Carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Decided to start cycling again a couple of months ago and was going to buy a new bike, but decided at the last moment to service the old bike that's been stuck at the back of my garage for nearly 30 years. I'm glad I did now, because it fits the bill nicely.

peanut

lovely bike Shaun. looks totally original as well. The wrap-round seat stays suggest its a late 60's early 70's model just after Raleigh took over Carlton. Very collectable
.I expect you could trace its date and history by using the frame number stamped on the underside of the BB shell.
http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/home.htm
My Carlton has the late 60's early 70's crespera lugs
http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/lugs/images/crespera.jpg

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Thanks. I've been through a few wheels and blocks in my youth riding the 'pot holed' streets of Manchester and I also had to bin the original saddle as my now 'less youthful' behind found it too hard, but apart from that its an all original 1997 Carlton Circuit.
2685689151_cb5ae06735_o.jpg

Goldie

Über Member
Shaun,

If you're still knocking about, I've picked up a Carlton Circuit in the same colour as yours. It's got a few bits on it that aren't original, and I'd be interested in knowing what seat, stem and bars your carried when new so that I can try and get hold of the correct parts to return it to a realistic as bought spec.

Cheers,

Luke

Goldie

Über Member
Nice machine one of he later 1970s (c1977) types, well worth restoring and using.

Full of minty green goodness, here's my matching Circuit as picked up.

DSC02371.jpg

DSC02374.jpg

DSC02372.jpg

As you can see, it came with the worst handlebars in the world. I've got some GB alloy drops and Weinmann brake levers that (peering closely at Shaun's bike above) look right, but if anyone can let me know what sort of stem and saddle the old girl might have carried, I'd be grateful.

There are a couple of spokes missing from the front wheel, a really nasty saddle and a weird wire brush thing around the front hub, which you might be able to see in the pictures, but somewhere underneath there is a very lovely, if obviously bottom of the range, Carlton waiting to pop out.

I'll stick a few more photos up as it comes together.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Shaun,

If you're still knocking about, I've picked up a Carlton Circuit in the same colour as yours. It's got a few bits on it that aren't original, and I'd be interested in knowing what seat, stem and bars your carried when new so that I can try and get hold of the correct parts to return it to a realistic as bought spec.

Cheers,

Luke
Luke, The seat in the picture above is not original and I've since changed it for a more comfy one. The original one was one of those hard narrow smooth black plastic ones (wish I still had it now). The back wheel, block and chain are not original, but I think just about everything else is including the handle bars and even the black handlebar tape. The pedals are also original, but the bearings are bad. I replaced them with some new pedals from Halfords a few months ago, but after a couple of weeks I put the originals back on the bike - the ones from Halfords were just too uncomfortable.
Shaun.

Goldie

Über Member
Not in any way finsished yet, but heading in the right direction:

DSC02422.jpg

I've generally cleaned the old lass from top to bottom, popped on a GB alloy stem and Maes bend bars, polished up some Weinmann brake levers and stuck them on, replaced both inner tubes, took the decision (that I will probably regret) to stick with the original Michelins because replacements aren't available, replaced a few broken spokes on the front wheel and trued it.

Oh yes, and removed the weird pan scourer thing that was attached to the front hub.

DSC02425.jpg

DSC02424.jpg

DSC02423.jpg

It's got a modern Charge saddle on at the moment, because the Charge was sitting in the cellar waiting for me to finish the Motobecane frame I bought it for, and I kind of wanted to see if it was the right shape for my bum or not. But I've got a couple of period correct saddles to choose between. It was oddly satisfying turning the little alloy pulls for the brakes round, so that the Weinmann logo faced outwards. :blush:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Oh yes, and removed the weird pan scourer thing that was attached to the front hub.

It's looking so much better!
I think the pan scourer thing was on the hub to keep the hub shiny, and not for any other reason. Someone at work has a bike of a similar age and it has the same thing on.

Goldie

Über Member
Cleaned and polished - again! - bar end caps on, bearings greased, brakes adjusted and finally, Brooks B17 Champion Narrow perched on the seat post. And now a genuinely lovely ride.

DSC02450.jpg

DSC02452.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

I bought black cloth bar tape for it, but in the end couldn't cover up the Maes bars with their engraved GB logo.

Top Bottom