My poor dog. Again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
A couple of months ago I posted about my dog Charlie who was having problems with his bits.
He had treatment and he seemed almost back to his old self.
Very sadly this past week or so he has seemed to drop off an invisible cliff becoming ever more lethargic, and so much out of sorts he even refused to go further than the end of the drive when going for a walk.
So last Monday he was in the vets for 'tests'. A couple of scans, blood tests, urine tests and God knows what else. The results of the final tests are being done at an independent lab and we will know tomorrow or maybe Monday if anything is showing up.
The Xrays show that an injury to his spine which happened maybe 3 months ago is not fully healed and he has more anti-inflamatory stuff to take.
So last night he was really struggling to get about and I had to carry him up stairs so he could sleep in his crate.
Today is the worst I have seen him. Barely moving, desperately thirsty, not eating, just lying there panting and struggling to raise his head even. He has been outside but it's so painful to watch him wobbling along.
To think that even last week despite him being unwell he was bright and eager. Right now he is struggling to even keep down a drink of water.
I'll take him to the vets again tomorrow but I'm dreading it. I really think his time has come.

He isn't that old for a dog at 12 years but when we first had him the vet said to us ' He's a strong sturdy dog and he will be healthy and robust all his life but when he gets old he will get some problem and he will go downhill very, very fast.'
It seems he was right.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not good. Hope the tests come back with 'something'.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Sorry to hear this @colly - we were in the same situation a few years ago so understand what you're going through.

Hope everything works out for you.

Lullabelle

Banana
A couple of months ago I posted about my dog Charlie who was having problems with his bits.
He had treatment and he seemed almost back to his old self.
Very sadly this past week or so he has seemed to drop off an invisible cliff becoming ever more lethargic, and so much out of sorts he even refused to go further than the end of the drive when going for a walk.
So last Monday he was in the vets for 'tests'. A couple of scans, blood tests, urine tests and God knows what else. The results of the final tests are being done at an independent lab and we will know tomorrow or maybe Monday if anything is showing up.
The Xrays show that an injury to his spine which happened maybe 3 months ago is not fully healed and he has more anti-inflamatory stuff to take.
So last night he was really struggling to get about and I had to carry him up stairs so he could sleep in his crate.
Today is the worst I have seen him. Barely moving, desperately thirsty, not eating, just lying there panting and struggling to raise his head even. He has been outside but it's so painful to watch him wobbling along.
To think that even last week despite him being unwell he was bright and eager. Right now he is struggling to even keep down a drink of water.
I'll take him to the vets again tomorrow but I'm dreading it. I really think his time has come.

He isn't that old for a dog at 12 years but when we first had him the vet said to us ' He's a strong sturdy dog and he will be healthy and robust all his life but when he gets old he will get some problem and he will go downhill very, very fast.'
It seems he was right.

:hugs:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Sorry to hear that @colly, you get so attached to them.
I'm sure you'll do the right thing by him and like cosmicbike said, if the worst comes to the worst you'll still have the good memories

tom73

Guru
Know what it’s like to see them getting worse and having to wait for reusults. Hopefully they can find the issue and stop you having to see things getting worse by the day.

Fingers crossed :hugs:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
All the best Charlie lad.

Drago

Legendary Member
I love dogs and would be heartbroken if anything happened to my boy Lemmy. Fingers crossed that is a temporary blip and he perks up again.

midlife

Guru
Crossed fingers for you :smile: our 10 year old poodle Ruby had problems earlier this year, spine inflammation / fusion and the prospect of six grand of surgery to both back legs, absolute fortune in tests. Bought a pram type thing to walk her in, but bleak :smile: Mix of steroids, nsaids and physio and she is on the mend and back to being part of the family.

Top Bottom