My poor dog. Again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A couple of months ago I posted about my dog Charlie who was having problems with his bits.
He had treatment and he seemed almost back to his old self.
Very sadly this past week or so he has seemed to drop off an invisible cliff becoming ever more lethargic, and so much out of sorts he even refused to go further than the end of the drive when going for a walk.
So last Monday he was in the vets for 'tests'. A couple of scans, blood tests, urine tests and God knows what else. The results of the final tests are being done at an independent lab and we will know tomorrow or maybe Monday if anything is showing up.
The Xrays show that an injury to his spine which happened maybe 3 months ago is not fully healed and he has more anti-inflamatory stuff to take.
So last night he was really struggling to get about and I had to carry him up stairs so he could sleep in his crate.
Today is the worst I have seen him. Barely moving, desperately thirsty, not eating, just lying there panting and struggling to raise his head even. He has been outside but it's so painful to watch him wobbling along.
To think that even last week despite him being unwell he was bright and eager. Right now he is struggling to even keep down a drink of water.
I'll take him to the vets again tomorrow but I'm dreading it. I really think his time has come.

He isn't that old for a dog at 12 years but when we first had him the vet said to us ' He's a strong sturdy dog and he will be healthy and robust all his life but when he gets old he will get some problem and he will go downhill very, very fast.'
It seems he was right.
:hugs:

Dayvo

just passin' through
Seeing a much-loved and ailing pet is very difficult to bear. I hope Charlie's (and your) suffering is minimal.

Remember the good times. And although you won't get 'another' Charlie, get another dog whose company and love you will enjoy equally.

We had to have one of our cats put down a few years ago. The other one is in good health, but is getting on a bit (14 last week). We hope we can have him for several more years, but both the misses and I have decided that we will get another when the time is appropriate.

:hugs:

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Thank you for your comments.

I'm sorry to say it's not good news. Poor Charlie was even more sick this morning. His back legs had all but stopped working and it seemed a moumental effort for him to even raise his head to take a drink. I helped him into the garden so he could have a pee, which he did, but then he just slumped down unable to hold himself up. The final results of all his tests were in and while I won't go into details we decided he would have no quality of life
At around 2.30 he was put to sleep. A nice little phrase meaning his was given an injection to end his life. It was peaceful at least.
A horrible decision to make even though I feel it was the right one. Still hasn't sunk in yet tbh.

DSC_0552.JPG

DSCF2863.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Thank you for your comments.

I'm sorry to say it's not good news. Poor Charlie was even more sick this morning. His back legs had all but stopped working and it seemed a moumental effort for him to even raise his head to take a drink. I helped him into the garden so he could have a pee, which he did, but then he just slumped down unable to hold himself up. The final results of all his tests were in and while I won't go into details we decided he would have no quality of life
At around 2.30 he was put to sleep. A nice little phrase meaning his was given an injection to end his life. It was peaceful at least.
A horrible decision to make even though I feel it was the right one. Still hasn't sunk in yet tbh.

View attachment 439957

View attachment 439959

So sorry to hear this news. Losing a much loved pet is truly awful and is one of the reasons why i never had another dog after my dog passed away. I never wanted to go through that again. Take care.:hugs:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
So sorry to hear this @colly - you've done the right thing but I know how hard that can be, so you have my sympathy.

Try to think of the happy times you shared.

Top Bottom