my project and braking on a trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul fellows

about my project, i imagin that a tadpole will want to turn when braking. [tank style] i have looked at a chunk of this bit of this site and it dose not seam to be mentioned as a problem. so am i imagining a problem that dose not exist, or is it a real problem with a very simple solution that is so obvious that it is not worth mentioning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I have no idea what you said...it's been a long morning though, so I'll assume it's me.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tank steering doesn't come with a recumbent trike, as a built in problem.
Brakes are split as per regulations, front & rear.

You can, if you feel like trying, start the turn and lean into the turn slightly, then applying the front brakes. The lighter loaded outer wheel will continue to turn on the heavier loaded inside wheel. With the weight of the rider and the trike behind the front wheels helping in the manouvre.

Get it wrong and you'll end up on the road however.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
paul fellows

paul fellows

2 hands 3 brakes. How dose that work? do you fasten both front brakes to one lever. There is mention of a free wheel back brake but I don’t want to have to keep peddling all the time.

The idea I am kicking around is to have the trike frame lean into the corners bike style, to go round sweeping bends a speed. But to stay up right when turning sharp corners slowly.

stuee147

2 hands 3 brakes. How dose that work? do you fasten both front brakes to one lever. There is mention of a free wheel back brake but I don’t want to have to keep peddling all the time.

The idea I am kicking around is to have the trike frame lean into the corners bike style, to go round sweeping bends a speed. But to stay up right when turning sharp corners slowly.

easy you only need 2 levers as you would any other bike but one lever will either be a duel cable lever or you can rig up a cable splitter as i did on MK1 i had a single cable from the leaver that went under the seat and there split in two like a giant version of the brakes on a MTB i think they are called center pull brakes but i may be wrong.
on MK2 i have a duel lever both ways work its just preferance.
one thing i would say is with the duel lever you have 2 cables coming from it if you also have your gears then maybe an e-kit it can become like spagettie junction if your not careful lol

here is a pic of the duel lever
Duel-Pull-Brake.jpg

they also come in side by side cable outlets but i think the over under like this is a bit neater

hope this has helped

stuee

How much brake steer you get depends both on the angle of the king post and where the extension of the king post intersects with the contact point of the tyre.
Get them both right and you'll have very little brake steer.

With the brakes you have two options.
Both front off lever and the back brake off the other.
That the strictly legal option but .........
Each front brake off it's own lever and the back brake off a friction gear lever (only used as a drag/parking brake) gives you more braking options.

classic33

Leg End Member
easy you only need 2 levers as you would any other bike but one lever will either be a duel cable lever or you can rig up a cable splitter as i did on MK1 i had a single cable from the leaver that went under the seat and there split in two like a giant version of the brakes on a MTB i think they are called center pull brakes but i may be wrong.
on MK2 i have a duel lever both ways work its just preferance.
one thing i would say is with the duel lever you have 2 cables coming from it if you also have your gears then maybe an e-kit it can become like spagettie junction if your not careful lol

here is a pic of the duel lever
Duel-Pull-Brake.jpg

they also come in side by side cable outlets but i think the over under like this is a bit neater

hope this has helped

stuee
Seem to remember seeing that picture before somewhere!
If I remember correctly you used side-pull brakes on MkI.

Another option for two brakes, one lever, is the use of cables for tandem use.

classic33

Leg End Member

How fast are you looking at actually travelling?
20mph & above, I find myself leaning into corners just so I know there's less chance of it going over sideways. I'm on four wheels as well.

starhawk

I have 2 brake levers, one for each front wheel, I have never experienced "brake steering" but I have an ICE trike, they are designed with no brake steering so it's a question of the design of the trike

OP
OP
paul fellows

paul fellows

my speed [slowness] is 10 mph or so, and i will not not be peddeling harder on laid back cycling trip.
now i know i will comply with the law two front bakes on one hand one back brake on the other.
the idea, if can pull it of, is to have the frame lean like a normal bike. but keeping all three wheels on the ground.

stuee147

Seem to remember seeing that picture before somewhere!
If I remember correctly you used side-pull brakes on MkI.

Another option for two brakes, one lever, is the use of cables for tandem use.

your right the front brakes on MK1 are side pull brakes i was more trying to describe how i split the single cable from the leaver devide into 2 for the 2 front brakes. i used the little conecter thingy that you have on MTB brakes that i think are called center pull brakes but not sure its where you have the small lengh of cable from one side to the other and its held by a metal hooky thingy above the tire and is pulled straight up.
i really should start learning the proper names for things lol

classic33

Leg End Member
my speed [slowness] is 10 mph or so, and i will not not be peddeling harder on laid back cycling trip.
now i know i will comply with the law two front bakes on one hand one back brake on the other.
the idea, if can pull it of, is to have the frame lean like a normal bike. but keeping all three wheels on the ground.
Not doable unless the frame is split into two. With where the rider sits/is seated treated as a seperate frame, which will be allowed to bend into the corners because it is mounted on some kind of suspension.

Top Bottom