My Raleigh Bike. The Start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
Just got this today and pleased as punch. Lots to ask and lots to do.
These numbers were at the bottom of the frame.. 50619068 is that the frame number ?

IMG_6705.JPG
IMG_6706.JPG
IMG_6708.JPG

Drago

Legendary Member
Late eighties?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Couple of questions guys.

Now the bike is in the bike stand I noticed there is a tight spot when you turn the bars so I'm thinking the head race is shot and the stem is crap so I need both of these can anyone point me to them as I'm not sure on what are the right bits.
The rear brake cable seems to be internal now is that the both inner and outer cable or are the outer cables just tuck in the tube? and on that subject can I upgrade to Ultegra stuff as I have seen this on another bike?

midlife

Guru
Do you mean the tricolour Ultegra stuff on the Argos bike? Headset will be £30-50. If the headset is trashed then a £15 ish Tange will do the job with ease. Depends on how much you want to spend :smile:

midlife

Guru
By crap do you mean you don't like the shape / size or is it the pitting?

Here's some Tricolor kit.

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/329484/#comment14572715

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Do you mean the tricolour Ultegra stuff on the Argos bike? Headset will be £30-50. If the headset is trashed then a £15 ish Tange will do the job with ease. Depends on how much you want to spend :smile:

I have seem some nearly new Ultegra F &R brake calipers for £25 on fleebay. The head set would be just a normal one.

midlife

Guru
I have seem some nearly new Ultegra F &R brake calipers for £25 on fleebay. The head set would be just a normal one.

Ultegra branding covers many shimano components for years and years :smile:

Polish out the pitting on the stem? Replacements are not difficult to find, just need to check the size of the bars.

Top Bottom