My Raleigh Bike. The Start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
You are welcome to come and practice both on my bikes and there shed ^_^

That's funny a lot of people have said that too me.. ^_^

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
That shed looks tidier than my front room. Nice project, bit of fine wire wool and autosol on the bare metal it’ll come up a treat.

I have just give it a rough clean but it will take several cleans I reckon.. cheers mate

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Took the pin out of the chain without damage do i put the same pin back?

I tried to take the inner chain ring off and I could break the bolts but then they just spin and you can't stop the back bit from spinning.. any thoughts

midlife

Guru
Did you push the pin out completely ? With a bike that old I'd be tempted to buy a new chain / cassette / freewheel.

The chainring bolts have a special tool for the inside half.
856211d1387545600-chainring-bolts-tl6123.jpg

As mentioned above, a big flat bladed screwdriver should stop them spinning.

@Boon 51 I know its up to you how you go about it but, seeing as you want to replace stuff, I cant help wondering, , if you would have been better off buying a vintage frame and sourcing the relevant parts.
I think he did the right thing buying a complete bike, particularly as a first project for at least several reasons: it (almost) always works out cheaper - a pair of wheels alone is worth 1/2 the price paid, and he won't need to replace everything, it tends to come together quicker cos you can ride it as you go along, and more importantly it's easier to know what you're looking for when you already have a component to compare!
Bare frame for next project, though eh? ;)

Top Bottom