My Raleigh Bike. The Start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
If you start replacing every little thing that isn't cosmetically perfect it will quickly get expensive and far outweigh the value of the bike. It's probably getting on for 28 years old, so you cant expect not to find signs of wear & tear and atmospheric exposure. Best to accept it for what it is and don't go too OCD.
I would just strip and regrease the headset and see what it feels like afterwards. The one in my pub bike was full of filth and rust and I just cleaned it out and whacked it back together with fresh grease!
As for pedals, if they wont come off, repeatedly spray them with penetrating fluid and just carry on using the bike. I've found soaking time can make a big difference. Sometimes it takes weeks but stuff does normally come apart eventually. Seatposts are another pig job that require persistence.

I'm not going to spend loads, I was looking at £50.00 ish so the total out lay is just over £100 which to me still represents good value for money. My race bike cost me over £4.500 but has no more fun value because I'm having the enjoyment of building what I want. I have plans for another bike which I will be run on a shoe string just for the fun of it. :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have plans for another bike which I will be run on a shoe string just for the fun of it. :smile:

In that case, your challenge is to achieve a functional working bike build for less than £12, and see how long you can keep it running using nothing but cast-off secondhand parts & consumables like tyres and brakes, without actually buying anything for it new.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
In that case, your challenge is to achieve a functional working bike build for less than £12, and see how long you can keep it running using nothing but cast-off secondhand parts & consumables like tyres and brakes, without actually buying anything for it new.

That's the sort of plan..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
A 3ft length of scaffold tube has been a very useful addition to my tool collection. Especially for stuck BBs.

Hopefully a cup of tea and a sticky bun might tempt him to leave it at my house. ^_^

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
If I can't put the pin back in my chain I have just seen a 6/7/8 speed link. So if I remove half a link to make the right size chain would this fit?

carpenter

Über Member
I don't think that those hoods will fit - from your photograph it looks like you have Shimano Action or Motion levers which have an awkward semi circular cover on the side - they are available from a US dealer but NOS cost $44 :ohmy:
Easier (and cheaper) to buy a "new" set of levers
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-...h=item2abf41d6d2:g:kdMAAOSwXGRcHMb-:rk:4:pf:0

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-...h=item3b26d7404e:g:W7wAAOSw6gdb2BWu:rk:5:pf:0

Black looks good for longer!

180767291_new-old-stock-shimano-exage-action-or-motion-aero-brake-.jpg

Top Bottom