my reply on 'road tax'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Logged on today to find that I have a delightful message on one of my youtube films, telling me I can't complain about road surfaces, because I don't pay road tax. It's an interesting task, explaining why that's rubbish, in less than 500 characters - what do you think of my reply?

So much more I'd like to have said.... Like the distinction between 'road tax' and Vehicle Excise Duty, but I suspect that goes over most people's heads anyway. It's almost a nuisance that I don't have a car, or I could just say "Actually, I do pay road tax...."

as far as i can remember part of the council tax goes to pay for local roads, so the car drivers,nearly said motorists!, have no arguement.

davidwalton

Nobody pays 'Road Tax' and haven't for years. People do pay VED (Vehicle Excise duty) and tax on fuel to be able to get around. Current MOT and Insurance is also a legal requirement.

For cyclists there is no VED as cycles are exempt (like small cars are as well). There is no MOT, but there SHOULD be a legal requirement for 3rd party Insurance.

domd1979

Veteran
Road maintenance is paid for from central government either via the Highways Agency (trunk roads / motorways) or the annual maintenance grant that local authorities receive.

Obviously fuel duty / VED no more pays for road maintenance than the VAT on the CD I bought last week.

piedwagtail91 said:
as far as i can remember part of the council tax goes to pay for local roads, so the car drivers,nearly said motorists!, have no arguement.

Maz

Guru
I've given that fella a 'thumbs down'...don't know how long it takes to appear on the webpage, though.

You open yourself up to all manner of comments when you make your vids public. That's the reality of it.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
davidwalton said:
Nobody pays 'Road Tax' and haven't for years. People do pay VED (Vehicle Excise duty) and tax on fuel to be able to get around. Current MOT and Insurance is also a legal requirement.

For cyclists there is no VED as cycles are exempt (like small cars are as well). There is no MOT, but there SHOULD be a legal requirement for 3rd party Insurance.

Yes, I'd like to have gone into that, but in only 500 characters, you are pretty limited....

It's the first time I've had an offensive type remark on one of my videos, I suppose I've been lucky so far. I wonder why he chose to view and comment on that one, and not the bad cycle lanes one....

cannondale boy

Über Member
Arch said:
Yes, I'd like to have gone into that, but in only 500 characters, you are pretty limited....

It's the first time I've had an offensive type remark on one of my videos, I suppose I've been lucky so far. I wonder why he chose to view and comment on that one, and not the bad cycle lanes one....

It probably won't be the first or the last time you expect a bad comment on youtube. It happens on that website more often just to peeeee a person off that a video that does not approve to them. I would just let the comment fly by you...as of course that person, and many others don't know the true meaning of VED.

Does paying road tax mean motorists own the road?

Pete

Terminator said:
Does paying road tax mean motorists own the road?
Well, seeing as the stereotypical motorist spends a good part of each journey shouting at every other motorist he encounters: "Do you think you own the f***ing road?!", it is clear that he is totally unaware of his good fortune. ;)

Hey Arch, thats nothing. You should see some of the replies I get on my videos. I had to delete one when it was making nasty comments about my wife (they didn't know her of course!):ohmy:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is mostly the volume of cars which do the damage in the first place, it is only fair that they be made to pay an extra contribution for the damage they do. We all pay for the roads and have a right to use them.

U

User482

As you say, explanations about VED and the fact that council tax pays for roads will go over their heads.

Tell them that you pay the same amount of "road tax" as a low emission car.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
What a tool. I've commented (under my YouTube moniker "ScumOfTheRoad").

Ah that was you! I should have guessed. I see that he's pretty well been out-commented...;)

As for the rattling arran andy, I suspect it was my brain rattling about in my skull. No, to be honest, I'm not sure, possibly the camera rattling a little in its mount... It was a very potholey road (and still is, although last week it was under 3" of water in places....)

Top Bottom