My ride to epping forest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...set out last night to watch the Mrs running in a race for life event over in epping forest. I thought I'd take the small country lanes route...all was well until I hit the small country lanes...got totally lost...my map was hoppeless, just a road map with no names...the signposts were aimed at motorists and only delt with th ebigger towns...the even t was on an airstrip and I could see planes lining up to land on th erunway...so I followed them! I was getting pretty close...then...as I rolled up at a junction a traffic cop had shut down the road and re directed me back along all the moan roads (which i was trying to avoid) adding another 45 mionutes to the trip...the cut through lane I needed was only about half amile past the cop and even though I pleaded that i was just a bike he refused to let me pass...some kind of accident up ahead..ridiculous...anyway I survived th elarger A road and it's murderous white van man community and eventually arrived in time for th erace...knackered.

Thank Gawd I wasnt running.

...I think my point is that navigating on small county lanes in an unfamilier area is prooving to be a lot harder than I had thought...and time consuming...

...thats the thing aboput cycling...each ride is a new experience...unlike car travel.

giant man

Whereabouts did you go man? It's not that bad out here, next time you come this way i could show you some great routes and good roads.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I was aiming for north weald airport...but I endied up visiting places like stapleford abbots, navestock heath and little Navestock,stanford rivers, little end,toot hill, kelvedon, chipping ongar..and along the a414...you are right,it's a nice area...I just got lost...which usually isnt to much of an issue but yesterday i had a time deadline to meat people. I have to admit though that i cheated on the way back as it was dark by then and I loaded the bike onto the wifes car rack :?: :?:

NickM

Veteran
Bigtallfatbloke said:
...it's a nice area...
True enough, as long as you manage to keep away from the main roads (I've been riding there for many years).

The answer to lostness (and a great tool for exploring unknown territory while keeping off main roads) is GPS plus mapping software. Not exactly cheap (about £300 for my Garmin Legend Cx and Tracklogs England and Wales), but a wonderfully liberating invention for the touring cyclist!

ChrisKH

Guru
Something not quite right here; Kelvedon and Epping Forest are a fair way apart. Unless your middle name is Boonen, in which case it's marginally plausible. :?:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...well I kept telling myself this was the 'scenic route' :?:

I'd like to get a gps but £300 notes is totally impossible for me at the moment after aal the cash I've laid out on other stuff like bike, tent, bag, shoes, spd pedals etc anyway i think I hav eto pay me dues and get lost at least a 100 times before I can say i really need a gps.....oh by the way it's my burpday in August all donations gratefully recieved :?: :sad: :rolleyes:

twowheelsgood

£300 for a GPS?

Mine was £60 and works well.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I was aiming for north weald airport...but I endied up visiting places like stapleford abbots, navestock heath and little Navestock,stanford rivers, little end,toot hill, kelvedon, chipping ongar..and along the a414...you are right,it's a nice area...I just got lost...which usually isnt to much of an issue but yesterday i had a time deadline to meat people. I have to admit though that i cheated on the way back as it was dark by then and I loaded the bike onto the wifes car rack :?: :?:

Looks like you managed to visit every adjoining place to North Weald first!

NickM

Veteran
twowheelsgood said:
£300 for a GPS?

Mine was £60 and works well.
No, ~£300 for a fairly sophisticated mapping GPS plus the whole of England and Wales in OS 1:50K mapping.

There's nothing wrong with the less expensive models; I was pretty happy with my original yellow eTrex, but my partner couldn't get on with the compass arrow display and wanted a mapping model for her forthcoming Side-to-Side ride. I'm beginning to wonder whether the Legend Cx might be too sophisticated for me... I still can't work out how to make it display the detailed mapping I put into it on Monday :?:

Top Bottom