1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My ride to epping forest

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 12 Jul 2007.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

...set out last night to watch the Mrs running in a race for life event over in epping forest. I thought I'd take the small country lanes route...all was well until I hit the small country lanes...got totally lost...my map was hoppeless, just a road map with no names...the signposts were aimed at motorists and only delt with th ebigger towns...the even t was on an airstrip and I could see planes lining up to land on th erunway...so I followed them! I was getting pretty close...then...as I rolled up at a junction a traffic cop had shut down the road and re directed me back along all the moan roads (which i was trying to avoid) adding another 45 mionutes to the trip...the cut through lane I needed was only about half amile past the cop and even though I pleaded that i was just a bike he refused to let me pass...some kind of accident up ahead..ridiculous...anyway I survived th elarger A road and it's murderous white van man community and eventually arrived in time for th erace...knackered.

Thank Gawd I wasnt running.

...I think my point is that navigating on small county lanes in an unfamilier area is prooving to be a lot harder than I had thought...and time consuming...

...thats the thing aboput cycling...each ride is a new experience...unlike car travel.

2. giant man

giant man New Member

Whereabouts did you go man? It's not that bad out here, next time you come this way i could show you some great routes and good roads.

3. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

I was aiming for north weald airport...but I endied up visiting places like stapleford abbots, navestock heath and little Navestock,stanford rivers, little end,toot hill, kelvedon, chipping ongar..and along the a414...you are right,it's a nice area...I just got lost...which usually isnt to much of an issue but yesterday i had a time deadline to meat people. I have to admit though that i cheated on the way back as it was dark by then and I loaded the bike onto the wifes car rack :?: :?:

4. NickM

NickM Veteran

True enough, as long as you manage to keep away from the main roads (I've been riding there for many years).

The answer to lostness (and a great tool for exploring unknown territory while keeping off main roads) is GPS plus mapping software. Not exactly cheap (about £300 for my Garmin Legend Cx and Tracklogs England and Wales), but a wonderfully liberating invention for the touring cyclist!

5. hambones

hambones Well-Known Member

You were quite wide of the mark if you thought you were at Epping Forest!! :?:

6. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

Something not quite right here; Kelvedon and Epping Forest are a fair way apart. Unless your middle name is Boonen, in which case it's marginally plausible. :?:

7. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Perhaps that's why Boonen hasn't won a stage yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

8. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

...well I kept telling myself this was the 'scenic route' :?:

I'd like to get a gps but £300 notes is totally impossible for me at the moment after aal the cash I've laid out on other stuff like bike, tent, bag, shoes, spd pedals etc anyway i think I hav eto pay me dues and get lost at least a 100 times before I can say i really need a gps.....oh by the way it's my burpday in August all donations gratefully recieved :?: :sad: :rolleyes:

9. twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood Senior Member

£300 for a GPS?

Mine was £60 and works well.

10. Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton Well-Known Member

Looks like you managed to visit every adjoining place to North Weald first!

11. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

which system is that?...at that price I may be able to get one

12. NickM

NickM Veteran

No, ~£300 for a fairly sophisticated mapping GPS plus the whole of England and Wales in OS 1:50K mapping.

There's nothing wrong with the less expensive models; I was pretty happy with my original yellow eTrex, but my partner couldn't get on with the compass arrow display and wanted a mapping model for her forthcoming Side-to-Side ride. I'm beginning to wonder whether the Legend Cx might be too sophisticated for me... I still can't work out how to make it display the detailed mapping I put into it on Monday :?: